Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Hello,

I am totally obsessed with new iPad Air 4.

I am thinking if 64 GB version will be enough for me or go for 256 GB version.

If I will go for 256 GB version then it is better to buy iPad Pro 11 128 GB.

I will use my iPad mostly for streaming YouTube, Netflix etc. videos, browsing web, playing some games, pdf reading and sometimes as my MBP replacement.

I will not use it for drawing, photoshop, taking notes and professional apps. I have iCloud 200 GB so I will not store on it a lot.

Will be 64 GB iPad Air 4th gen enough for my usage?

Is the Magic Keyboard 2 worth to buy for such using?

Is Apple Pencil 2 worth to buy for such using? (I will not draw, only write emails).

Please help me with my dilemma...

Regards,
J.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
For your needs, 64gb + 200gb cloud should be enough I think.

By Magic keyboard 2, you mean the real external keyboard? I’d say just get cheap keyboard for occasional replying to emails. If you mean magic keyboard case than it probably too expensive for just that needs.

Pencil 2 looks like a definite useless for your usage description. Better use the virtual keyboard for replying to emails.

Reactions: kazmac and tiartrop

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
I mean magic keyboard 2 case. As I said it will be sometimes laptop. You think virtual will be enough?

Last edited:

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
There is no magic keyboard 2 case. It’s the first edition, the previous one is smart folio keyboard.

For laptop like usage, yes I would suggest the magic keyboard case, the typing experience and built in track pad are awesome for longer typing and navigating in laptop mode.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I think its hard to justify the ipad pro with the new specs of the air, unless you need more storage. People I know always went with the base model storage and regretted it. Could you elaborate more on the MBP placement?

If you will be downloading a bit of stuff, maybe getting an icloud plan or get the 128gb IPP (has the better display, but not a huge deal if you dont care about the 120hz refresh rate).

Would you willing to delete games if storage nears, and how is storage on your other devices?

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
I think its hard to justify the ipad pro with the new specs of the air, unless you need more storage. People I know always went with the base model storage and regretted it. Could you elaborate more on the MBP placement?

If you will be downloading a bit of stuff, maybe getting an icloud plan or get the 128gb IPP (has the better display, but not a huge deal if you dont care about the 120hz refresh rate).

Would you willing to delete games if storage nears, and how is storage on your other devices?

I do not download a lot directly to my MBP for example, so I think I will not download to my iPad Air.
I plan to play maybe 3-4 games titles in the same time. MBP 2020 is currently main device for daily use.
If I watch movies then I stream them from my Network SSD or use streaming services.
Never store a lot movies on device. Is there possibility to use external USB storage with iPad?

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Never store a lot movies on device. Is there possibility to use external USB storage with iPad?
I assume you can, especially with the implementation of the USB C port. You might want to do some research/watch some vids on that, but I don't see why not. Just dragging files to the Files app shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure you turn off optimize storage once you receive the device.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Magic Keyboard is worth price? Does it scratch iPad's screen.

MKB is overpriced, but it does the job very well and make the ipad works a lot more like regular laptop.
Doesn’t scratch ipad’s screen.
It’s the durability of the material you should take care more carefully. Rubberized material, easy to get scratched and scuffed.

What kind of work you usually do on your MBP?

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
For your uses, the Ipad Air will be plenty. I see you live in Poland, I assume the return policy is the same as the US?

If you don't want to wait potentially 1.5 months to receive the device, the Ipad Pro is a very competitive device and will be relevant for 5+ years, especially with your uses for it.

If you can wait, get the Ipad air as orders open. I would like the air to have competitive benchmark results and at least 4gb of ram. Best advice is to do some research, compare both devices. Once i get off work, I can help you and make a list.

Lastly, I have the IPP and it is prone to bending and screen flex (really bad), so get a case no matter what and maybe apple care.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
For your uses, the Ipad Air will be plenty. I see you live in Poland, I assume the return policy is the same as the US?

If you don't want to wait potentially 1.5 months to receive the device, the Ipad Pro is a very competitive device and will be relevant for 5+ years, especially with your uses for it.

If you can wait, get the Ipad air as orders open. I would like the air to have competitive benchmark results and at least 4gb of ram. Best advice is to do some research, compare both devices. Once i get off work, I can help you and make a list.

Lastly, I have the IPP and it is prone to bending and screen flex (really bad), so get a case no matter what and maybe apple care.

Yes, we have return policy on apple.com in Poland. I can wait for iPad Air 4. When do you think they will start orders on apple.com?

What case do you recommend for iPad? I would like to use it as external monitor for MBP with sidecar.

So, do you think is it worth to consider Magic Keyboard or Apple Pencil 2?

Thank you I will write to you private message and we can perform research :)

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Yes, I also vote for iPad Air 4 for better single core performance for your usage.
You don’t seem to be needing the multi core performance and more RAM for multitasking.

Air 4 is also slightly thicker, might be better to avoid bending.

Get the MKB if you do a lot of typing and using the ipad daily as a laptop.
Skip the Pencil, you won’t be needing it. Although many likes it for photo editing, I would say it only does better for taking notes and drawing.

If you buy the MKB, sidecar should be fine. MKB is great for docking the ipad beside your MBP.
If not, I’d recommend something like this: Zugu case

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
MKP costs 1/2 price of this iPad. Is it worthy?

To summarise 64 GB will be good option?

Last edited:

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
MKP costs 1/2 price of this iPad. Is it worthy?

To summarise 64 GB will be good option?

If you can, try the MKB first at the Apple store. So you can decide is it worth it for you.
For me, yes it is worth the price.

I see you’re using iPhone with similar storage? That will be your starting point to assess your future storage needs on the ipad. They say if you’re unsure then most probably you‘re going to be needing more capacity :)

I cannot give you relevant suggestion for this one, as I use my ipad pro as my main computer for heavy illustration, photo editing and video editing. My minimum is 256gb. That is with multiple external storage.
A 64gb would be plenty for my smart phone usage though.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Yes, I have iCloud 200 GB and I store there my photos. I have downloaded a lot of apps and have all videos and music also downloaded and I still have 15 GB free space. So I think 64 GB will be optimal for me.

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
You won’t run out of space, I bought the 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 64g - for the first time less than all my previous iPads and still a couple of years later - just checked have 4g free and no issues. 64g I have found to be fine

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Hello,

I am totally obsessed with new iPad Air 4.

I am thinking if 64 GB version will be enough for me or go for 256 GB version.

If I will go for 256 GB version then it is better to buy iPad Pro 11 128 GB.

I will use my iPad mostly for streaming YouTube, Netflix etc. videos, browsing web, playing some games, pdf reading and sometimes as my MBP replacement.

I will not use it for drawing, photoshop, taking notes and professional apps. I have iCloud 200 GB so I will not store on it a lot.

Will be 64 GB iPad Air 4th gen enough for my usage?

Is the Magic Keyboard 2 worth to buy for such using?

Is Apple Pencil 2 worth to buy for such using? (I will not draw, only write emails).

Please help me with my dilemma...

Regards,
J.
64g will be more than enough, for me personally discovered that over last year or so

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I’d get the 11 pro 128gb, much better iPad, promotion 120hz, quad stereo speakers. Better screen ratio for videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.