Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wufo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Hello guys,

I am going to buy my first iPad soon (Air 4). Mainly for taking notes.

At the moment, I am using laptop with Windows 10 and OneNote app for my notes. It works well and now I would like to incorporate iPad to my work flow.

English is not my mother language and if I type English I do a quite lot of typos, so I use spell check in OneNote to do all the corrections. It works great for me!

I love the idea of Apple pencil/Logitech Crayon but I do worry about spell check and correction of my typos. How would it work for me?

Should I buy iPad and Logitech keyboard (magic keyboard is too pricey)?

Should I buy just Apple pencil?

Or should I get both?

Thanks for any inputs! Love to hear your ideas.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
are you ok with typing using keyboard at a decent speed? (50 WPM or above)
Or do you just want to use apple pencil to insert drawings in your onenote? (you can do this with a microsoft account)
I use magic keyboard (unparalleled typing experience plus easy to remove when not needing it, expensive sure but still) and I can start typing either using both hands (just like thumb typing) or sitting at somewhere and put keyboard on a lap to type. 11" really helps here.

Reactions: Wufo

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
If you like handwriting or painting there’s nothing better than the Apple Pencil. I’d start with these two and see how far that plus the onscreen keyboard and maybe dictation get you. You can always get more stuff later if you so desire.

Also keep in mind that iPads work very well with external Bluetooth keyboards and mice, so you could re-use stuff if you have that at home already.

Wufo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
are you ok with typing using keyboard at a decent speed? (50 WPM or above)
Or do you just want to use apple pencil to insert drawings in your onenote? (you can do this with a microsoft account)
I use magic keyboard (unparalleled typing experience plus easy to remove when not needing it, expensive sure but still) and I can start typing either using both hands (just like thumb typing) or sitting at somewhere and put keyboard on a lap to type. 11" really helps here.
Yes, I think I can type in decent speed. My idea would be using Apple Pencil mainly for some writing and annotation in PDF files and in OneNote.

Does Magic Keybord works with just Air 4? Or can you use Magic Keyboard with Pro and normal Ipad too? I am just thinking if would buy expensive magic keyboard now and in the future changed Ipad....

Wufo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
If you like handwriting or painting there’s nothing better than the Apple Pencil. I’d start with these two and see how far that plus the onscreen keyboard and maybe dictation get you. You can always get more stuff later if you so desire.

Also keep in mind that iPads work very well with external Bluetooth keyboards and mice, so you could re-use stuff if you have that at home already.
I do not paint and my handwriting is mess but what I also though is to use Ipad and Apple pencil (and some app from store) to actually improve my hand-writing, so it is nicer and easier to read.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yes, I think I can type in decent speed. My idea would be using Apple Pencil mainly for some writing and annotation in PDF files and in OneNote.

Does Magic Keybord works with just Air 4? Or can you use Magic Keyboard with Pro and normal Ipad too? I am just thinking if would buy expensive magic keyboard now and in the future changed Ipad....
You can change your current iPad Air 4 to a 11” iPad Pro in the future, assuming apple doesn’t change iPad dimension a lot. Magic keyboard was initially for iPad Pro. iPad Air 4 is more like an accident than intentional design. Unfortunately no, magic keyboard wont work with normal iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.