Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
With this new substantial improvement to the pro lineup, I am questioning as to whether I should cancel my order for the Air 4 and wait. Primarily, i'm considering the fact that the price difference isn't that big when you are already paying that amount for the Air 4. If performance isn't a priority, do you think the Pro is a better investment going into the future even if I won't use the m1 chip to its full potential? I know the Air is quite a powerhouse already so is the M1 really necessary for a "mainstream" user?

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
My guess is that some new heavy multitasking capabilities with external display will work only on M1 pro

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
It seems like the iPad Air only makes sense if you go with the base 64GB model, either at $599 or $729 for cellular. Once you go up to 256GB, the iPad Air starting at $749 for Wi-Fi only starts to look overpriced relative to the 128GB iPad Pro 11” Wi-Fi model...

Reactions: Christopher Kim

MacBrim

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
I’m still in the window where I can return the iPad Air. Thinking about changing it for the pro. I think the 11” is best because I use it mainly on the couch and my mba m1 on the desk. (Which I barely use since I own the ipad air)

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
With this new substantial improvement to the pro lineup, I am questioning as to whether i should cancel my order for the Air 4 and wait. Primarily i'm considering the fact that the price difference isn't that big when you are already paying that amount for the Air 4. If performance isn't a priority, do you think the Pro is a better investment going into the future even if I won't use the m1 chip to its full potential? I know the Air is quite a powerhouse already so is the M1 really necessary for a "mainstream" user?
If you never drive it, a sports car is really just pretty to look at, isn't it?
That being said, assume a 3-5 year timeframe before you'll want the next tablet.

Reactions: Kove

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It seems like the iPad Air only makes sense if you go with the base 64GB model, either at $599 or $729 for cellular. Once you go up to 256GB, the iPad Air starting at $749 for Wi-Fi only starts to look overpriced relative to the 128GB iPad Pro 11” Wi-Fi model...

Depends on how much storage you need.

Personally, I use smaller iPads in public spaces so the Air 4 with TouchID is still preferable for me given mandatory face masks.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I agree with this. This was already the case with the iPad Air 4 vs 2020 11" iPad Pro. And with the new 2021 version (with M1, 8gb ram, improved cameras, Thunderbolt, etc.) at the same $799 starting point for 128gb, the "value" argument to upgrade to the 11" iPad Pro is even stronger.

Unless budget is very tight, and you're going with the base 64gb, I do think it makes more sense for most people who are in this zone, to pay a bit more and get the 2021 11" iPP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.