Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhymecheat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
So I’ve just had this starting today with my iPad.

When I first boot it everything is fine. Then I lock it with either button or case lid and now it’s a gamble. Sometimes it comes back fine, but mostly it stays dark. When it stays dark there’s nothing that I can do to bring it back but reboot in recovery mode which is annoying (a simple reboot won’t do).

It doesn’t seem like a hardware issue because once I reboot everything is fine again… until I lock it again.

I’ve tried recovery reset and DFU reset and still the same behaviour.

On top of that, when it goes dark, if I connect it to an external monitor, the monitor shows everything fine. I can even blindly tap on the screen and see the results on the monitor.

It’s running 16.3.1 and I have no idea how to debug this.

Any thoughts?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Is this an older iPad? What's the year/model? If it is, I'm wondering if it's an issue with iPadOS 16 running on older hardware. If you've done a DFU reset and this is still happening, to me that indicates that the hardware is a factor, since all the iPadOS settings should've been back to default after the reset.

rhymecheat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
It’s an iPad Air 4th gen.

I get that it can be hardware but I can’t believe it would be since a recovery reboot always fixes the problem until I lock it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.