Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uktomw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Hi all,

Long time forum follower but first time poster.

I’m checking to see if any other members have had success in using an Ultrawide monitor with the new iPad external display support?

I’m using an M1 11” iPad with iPadOS 16 B1 and Stage Manager enabled, connected to an Apple Magic Keyboard and a Samsung 43” (3840 x 1200) J890 monitor via usb-c. The display is recognised by the iPad within display settings and will even enable me to change the arrangement of the displays.

However, the output to my external display is just a black screen.

The monitor itself is fine, and is used regularly with my M1 MB Air.

Has anyone had better luck with such larger ultrawide’s?

Thanks in advance.

phuhk

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2022
Hồ Chí Minh, Việt Nam
Hi there, I have the same issue with you on my LG 35” (3440 x 1440 @100Hz).

I did a short research, some of Youtuber has Ultrawide monitor and it still work for them, so I think this problem might not related to Ultrawide aspect, but it's about to monitor resolution.

honzapov

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2022
Hi, I have the same issue. I am trying it with iPad Air M1 and ultrawide monitor Dell U4919DW (5120 x 1440 px) and the same black screen, but recognized (in settings I can also rearrange the monitors etc).

If I change the monitor settings to PBP (so it works like two separate monitors next to each other) then the picture immediately appears. But of course only half of the screen works, so it's kind of a bummer :/

Uktomw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Did you play around with the Zoomed/Standard/More Space settings In the display settings?
Yep, alternated between these settings but didn’t appear to change the outcome. Thanks for the suggestion though.

paulmeyers42

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
I have the same issue. I submitted it as a bug report, you should do the same. Hopefully they’ll get enough of them and prioritize it

Fmoots

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2022
I have tried with the beta with an LG-UC 99 34" (3440 x 1440) and only get a black screen. Ipad OS does recognise the name on the monitor but seems to be no signal. It will allow me to mirror with same aspect ratio (as in Ipad OS 15) but unable to get the new support to work

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
These forums are littered with external monitor issues, even for macOS, and they basically never get fixed. I wouldn’t expect iPadOS 16 to work with many monitors. It will be a total crapshoot and your best bet will be if someone starts a list of working monitors to reference.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
These forums are littered with external monitor issues, even for macOS, and they basically never get fixed. I wouldn’t expect iPadOS 16 to work with many monitors. It will be a total crapshoot and your best bet will be if someone starts a list of working monitors to reference.
It will be curious to see if Stage Manager works with displays that don't work regularly with iPad OS.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
For those that don’t have it working, have you tried DisplayPort instead of HDMI?

Uktomw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
For those that don’t have it working, have you tried DisplayPort instead of HDMI?
I haven’t yet. My current set up is usb-c to usb-c. Have you managed to get an ultrawide working with either of those connections?

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I haven’t yet. My current set up is usb-c to usb-c. Have you managed to get an ultrawide working with either of those connections?
I don’t have the iPadOS 16 yet. I’ve never tried connecting my iPad Pro to my ultrawide monitor either.

Ponylover52

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2022
So I saw a video the guy had it on a Ultrawide but it was sorta buggy, and the app windows look weird because they don’t really know how to do the aspect ratio and end up simply stretched with abnormal blank space in margins and such. I would encourage anyone who has it to file a feedback/bug and inquire on improving the support for ultrawide monitors with these aspect ratios, the iPad sees the screen fine, it just appeared that the UI didn’t know how/was oddly stretching from the aspect ratio.

Uktomw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
I’m delighted to confirm that Beta 2 has now (semi*) resolved the issue! My iPad will now output to my external 3840 x 1200 display! On the off chance you’re reading this, my upmost thanks to you Dev team.

*I’ve experienced a few random drop-outs and connection issues but I guess that’s to be expected as this stage.

Fmoots

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2022
I have also tested beta 2 with an LG UC99 3440 x 1440 34inch ultrawide & it now does work and fully fills the screen. Resolution looks nice also. Not sure I’d ever use this in place of my M1 Mac Mini that is currently plugged into the ultrawide, but it’s a good option to have.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I have also tested beta 2 with an LG UC99 3440 x 1440 34inch ultrawide & it now does work and fully fills the screen. Resolution looks nice also. Not sure I’d ever use this in place of my M1 Mac Mini that is currently plugged into the ultrawide, but it’s a good option to have.
Do you find the filling of the ultrawide to work sensibly or does it look odd?

I have a 49" super ultrawide so wondering if it's worth upgrading to whatever new iPad Pro gets announced today so that I can use it when working remotely and just need to open Outlook and some Word/Excel files using KB/M all connected to a USB-C docking station.

woodynet

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
Brisbane
IpadOS 17.2 Ultra Wide via Thunderbolt is working here , although the big screen has it a little chunky, I tried it also on my LG ultra fine 21" it looked spectacular on that display. IMG_0846.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.