Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdeluxe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
I know that the hip thing is to get an iPad as a laptop replacement, but I have both a work and a personal 15-inch MacBook Pro that I won't (can't?) replace anytime soon. However, I'm considering buying a new iPad for certain tasks that are bothersome to do with a laptop, such as:
  • Watching video
  • Reading books (including comic books), newspapers, magazines
  • Reading and annotating PDFs
  • Drawing and sketching
  • Playing the occasional game

Besides these activities, I will also be using the iPad alongside my MacBook Pro, be it as a second screen through Sidecar, or when I'm at work, in tandem with my work computer, when I want to access my personal stuff.

As such, what iPad do you feel complements best a 15-inch MacBook Pro user? My doubts are mostly concerning size: should I go 11-inch or 12.9?

On one hand, the 11-inch is lighter on a bag, especially if I'm already carrying a laptop, and takes up less space when using next to a 15-inch MBP. It's also the best "couch device".

On the other, the 12.9 is better at some key experiences: it's closer to A4 size so it's excelent for PDFs, its screen size is closer to the 15-inch so it is also better as a second screen, and the larger screen size means a larger canvas for drawing.

What do you think? Which would you choose? Anyone using an iPad alongside a laptop?

Last edited:

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I use macbook Air M1 with Ipad Pro 12.9 3rd gen every day. Tend to use my Ipad alot more and like to have the Macbook for video conferencing and certain tasks which are limited by Ipad OS. Don’t use sidecar much but is great to have that also handy. The Ipad Air 4th Gen is great for portability, is powerful and such but I do miss the real estate space of the bigger Ipad as find it abit cramped but for many they love the portability. I would in your case recommend Ipad Air (2020) if need one right now.

Reactions: casperes1996

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I would never personally do the full laptop replacement thing. For one thing a lot of my work just cannot be done on an iPad, but even the tasks that can be done cannot be done with as good a workflow. So all my use-case for my iPad is exactly as a complement to my laptop and desktop Macs.

For most of the tasks I honestly think the 11 would probably be better, really. And I say that having the 12.9" and liking it.
If you foresee a lot of Sidecar and use with Magic Keyboard, go 12.9". But if you'll mostly be using it as a tablet, in your hands, the 11" is easier to wield and thus nicer for that I think.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Unless you're desperate for the extra screen estate, I'd 100% go for the Air in your use case. You have the MacBook for actual productivity and processing. If you're just getting an iPad for essentially media consumption and a little bit of drawing etc., you don't need the Pro, and your wallet will be healthier by a few hundred dollars.

The A14 makes it pretty much as fast as the 2020 Pro in any real world usage.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I know that the hip thing is to get an iPad as a laptop replacement, but I have both a work and a personal 15-inch MacBook Pro that I won't (can't?) replace anytime soon. However, I'm considering buying a new iPad for certain tasks that are bothersome to do with a laptop, such as:
  • Watching video
  • Drawing and sketching

Besides these activities, I will also be using the iPad alongside my MacBook Pro, be it as a second screen through Sidecar, or when I'm at work, in tandem with my work computer, when I want to access my personal stuff.

As such, what iPad do you feel complements best a 15-inch MacBook Pro user? My doubts are mostly concerning size: should I go 11-inch or 12.9?

On one hand, the 11-inch is lighter on a bag, especially if I'm already carrying a laptop, and takes up less space when using next to a 15-inch MBP. It's also the best "couch device".

On the other, the 12.9 is better at some key experiences: it's closer to A4 size so it's excelent for PDFs, its screen size is closer to the 15-inch so it is also better as a second screen, and the larger screen size means a larger canvas for drawing.

What do you think? Which would you choose? Anyone using an iPad alongside a laptop?
I think an iPad + iMac combination is much better than an iPad + MacBook combination.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
Unless you really need/want the 12.9" screen, I would save the money and get the basic iPad. I have a 10.5" Pro and used the newer Pro ones a bunch and don't feel they currently offer enough to justify the cost, especially when you're not trying to use them to replace a laptop (which doesn't work for me either). If you really want one of the better iPads, then I'd get an iPad Air over the current 11" Pro.

As for 11" vs 12.9", my decision would personally be based on how badly I want/need the screen to more closely match a sheet of paper. For example, I use my iPad Pro to read sheet music and a 12.9" is much nicer for that kind of task but I'm not sure I'd want to give up the portability of a smaller one just for that, considering it's just a hobby for me. However, if I had to carry both a 15" laptop and an iPad all the time, I'd definitely go for the smaller one.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have a 12.9 iPP and a 13" Win10 laptop - the perfect complement for me. The laptop is usually docked to a large monitor. I personally have no interest in a Mac laptop.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yeah my laptop spends 99.99% of its time hooked up to a 4k monitor as if it was a desktop. Been that way since 2017 for me.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
  • Watching video

I prefer the smaller iPads for reading EPUB books.

For watching videos, comic books, magazines and PDFs, these tasks are nicer with a bigger display. Except, of course, when the iPad falls on your nose while watching/reading in bed.

• Haha
Reactions: MevetS and kltmom

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Depends on workflows. I do a lot of PDF annotation of civil engineering documents (plans plotted to 24”x36”) as well as occasionally traveling and using my iPad Pro as a second screen for my windows workstation class laptop with duet. For those reasons the 12.9 is perfect. These days with travel restrictions and work from home the 12.9 does more duty as a media consumption device and is excellent for that too. There are times when I will ponder before going somewhere whether or not I will take the iPad with me but I strongly believe that I would make the same consideration regardless of whether it was an 11” model or 12.9”. I don’t deny that there is a difference between the two but to me carrying one vs the other isn’t that different.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
There are times when I will ponder before going somewhere whether or not I will take the iPad with me but I strongly believe that I would make the same consideration regardless of whether it was an 11” model or 12.9”. I don’t deny that there is a difference between the two but to me carrying one vs the other isn’t that different.

Slightly different case for me.

If I already had a laptop bag with me, the difference between 11" and 12.9" is negligible. The 12.9" would fit just as easily in the laptop bag as the 11".

However, the 11" fits in my purses so I can easily carry that daily.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Depends on workflows. I do a lot of PDF annotation of civil engineering documents (plans plotted to 24”x36”) as well as occasionally traveling and using my iPad Pro as a second screen for my windows workstation class laptop with duet. For those reasons the 12.9 is perfect. These days with travel restrictions and work from home the 12.9 does more duty as a media consumption device and is excellent for that too. There are times when I will ponder before going somewhere whether or not I will take the iPad with me but I strongly believe that I would make the same consideration regardless of whether it was an 11” model or 12.9”. I don’t deny that there is a difference between the two but to me carrying one vs the other isn’t that different.
My experience flying around in the states here (especially overseas) - one gets a LOT of grief from airport security when they have a laptop and a good sized tablet. Two laptops? I've been questioned by security like crazy, especially in London. Apparently nothing says you're a criminal louder than two laptops.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
  • Watching video
  • Drawing and sketching

Yep, I use my iPad Pro alongside my laptop and it is great to have a nice mix of these devices depending on what you are doing as the iPad does have its limitations. For the most part I reach for my iPad Pro for most things including signing documents, but sometimes I do open up the laptop, especially if I want to work on MS Excel quickly or want to build a PPT presentation, depends on what I need really.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
  • Watching video
  • Drawing and sketching

Personally I couldn't do without either, so for me it's 11in + 12.9in...

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
My experience flying around in the states here (especially overseas) - one gets a LOT of grief from airport security when they have a laptop and a good sized tablet. Two laptops? I've been questioned by security like crazy, especially in London. Apparently nothing says you're a criminal louder than two laptops.
Me travelling (in Europe): 2 Windows laptops, 1 12.9in iPad pro with smart keyboard, 1 10.5/11in iPad pro with smart keyboard and an iPad mini 5 with brydge keyboard.
Done this several times. Never had any issues. Will do again in a couple of months...

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Haven’t had that issue but I mostly travel on the west coast and have TSA precheck. I can relate to the desire to reduce travel stress at security but I don’t let that affect my ability to work effectively (which for me requires two screens). When I travel for work I do so heavy with laptop, tablet, two camera and occasionally a projector.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

m0nkeyb0y

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I don't currently have one, but in the past my 10.5 was a laptop accompaniment. And my (soon, precious, soon) 11" Pro will also be a laptop accompaniment.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Me travelling (in Europe): 2 Windows laptops, 1 12.9in iPad pro with smart keyboard, 1 10.5/11in iPad pro with smart keyboard and an iPad mini 5 with brydge keyboard.
Done this several times. Never had any issues. Will do again in a couple of months...
Guess I was lucky? Heathrow airport in London, they put that red sticker on my passport, questioned me for quite some time and pointed out it was because I had 2 laptops. They were telling me how it wasn't allowed. I was just scared ****less and let them do what they wanted to do, which included a full body search, lol.

My coworkers definitely had a lot more TSA interaction with large tablets and work laptops (getting pulled aside).

A positive was, I was the first one on the plane back to USA, LOL. Never had either of those things happen before. From that point on, 1 laptop it was. This was 2017.

• Haha
Reactions: VaruLV

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Guess I was lucky? Heathrow airport in London, they put that red sticker on my passport, questioned me for quite some time and pointed out it was because I had 2 laptops. They were telling me how it wasn't allowed. I was just scared ****less and let them do what they wanted to do, which included a full body search, lol.

My coworkers definitely had a lot more TSA interaction with large tablets and work laptops (getting pulled aside).

A positive was, I was the first one on the plane back to USA, LOL. Never had either of those things happen before. From that point on, 1 laptop it was. This was 2017.
Is it maybe specific to people travelling to the US? I have been travelling by plane quite a bit over the last years to give my trainings (excluding 2020, where I travelled once for holidays, but with all the devices mentioned above), to Luxemburg, Germany, Belgium, France, Italy and Poland (from Switzerland) and I almost always have 2 laptops with me and often at least one iPad (except on holidays when I take 2-3 iPad in addition to 2 laptops) and never had issues.
My laptops are a (very light) 13.3 clamshell and a surface pro style laptop. The only requirement is that I put them separately in the scanner... As far as I know there are no limitations, I don't see why one could not travel with 3-4 laptops for instance....

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Is it maybe specific to people travelling to the US? I have been travelling by plane quite a bit over the last years to give my trainings (excluding 2020, where I travelled once for holidays, but with all the devices mentioned above), to Luxemburg, Germany, Belgium, France, Italy and Poland (from Switzerland) and I almost always have 2 laptops with me and often at least one iPad (except on holidays when I take 2-3 iPad in addition to 2 laptops) and never had issues.
My laptops are a (very light) 13.3 clamshell and a surface pro style laptop. The only requirement is that I put them separately in the scanner... As far as I know there are no limitations, I don't see why one could not travel with 3-4 laptops for instance....
I have no clue. It was my second time out of the USA. I did have a massive 10+ pound Dell Latitude work laptop so it probably didn't look all that great. (Wasn't too much later that I demanded work give me something a bit more portable).

Haha. Suspicious Americans? Who knows. Glad to know. Work is looking forward to sending me all over again once Covid is over. Thanks

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Maybe I was lucky. I'm retired now but when I traveled for work (a lot) I always had either two laptops - a work and a personal - or a work laptop and a personal tablet and never had a question raised about it. There were times I had two laptops and a tablet.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
but... what? why??!
I always had 2 laptops with me, originally it was to have double the battery life, but then I realized I was more productive with 2 instead of one, especially when one of the 2 has touch and pen input and can become a tablet... plus the iPad mini to have a small tablet too.. The other iPads are only when I go on holiday and have a piano (the 12.9 is for reading sheet music then), but they also act as tablets. I also use either the mini or the 11 as a cellular hotspot.
I remember I was tempted to take a portable screen instead of a second laptop, but the 13.3in Samsung notebook 9 weighted less than any portable screen at 1.7 pounds so I got that instead, the 2 laptops together weight less than 4 pounds....

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
  • Watching video
  • Drawing and sketching

I'm using the 12.9 right now. I have a 16" MacBook Pro for work. I think it's a great combo. Also sometimes put the iPad on a stand as a 2nd screen (sidecar)… it’s a lot better than the smaller iPads for that use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.