Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarboose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
I have a late 2015 27 inch iMac (which I love) and iPhone XS Max, but I always struggle keeping an iPad because I can't seem to find its place in my ecosystem.... With the Sidecar feature coming in Catalina, I think I can justify an iPad to not only be my portable, big screen device when needed (which isn't that often), but also serve as a second monitor to my iMac the rest of the time. It would be a wired connection when being used as a monitor for the iMac.

Does anyone see any flaws in my thought process or have any opinion on which iPad might serve best for this purpose?

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I have used my 12.9 iPad a few times as an external monitor but to me it doesn’t make for a nice experience. Maybe on the go as a secondary screen for a notebook/laptop but when I’m working at my desk I prefer a big secondary display.

But don’t take my word for it, wait for Catalina to launch and get an iPad from a place with a good return policy so you can try it out yourself.

Reactions: Scarboose

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I don't think that's such a good idea for a 27 inch iMac.

The iPad will be waaaay out of your line of sight. Won't be comfortable - you'll have to adjust the way you're looking + your focus and if you're going back and forth between both displays you'll be fed up with it very soon. There are ways of sticking an iPad to the side of your MacBook - not so sure about the iMac.

At work I have a 19 inch monitor and to use my laptop as a 2nd monitor when docked I had to buy a stand to prop it up so both LCDs are in my lie of sight. Otherwise it just wouldn't work.

I only think it'll be useful if you plan on using it as a digitizer (in which case it'll be fantastic). Your iMac is already the size of an IMAX screen.

With all that said I think the best iPad for this case (casual use + Sidecar) would be a 12.9 iPad Pro, 2nd gen or 3rd gen.

Reactions: Scarboose

Scarboose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
I appreciate the responses! I agree with both of you but it still seems like a stupid good idea for some reason. Ill try the 12.9 and see how it feels. Thanks for the input!

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
Personally I don't think Sidecar makes sense in any situation... but I'm not a creative professional of the right discipline to truly write it off as useless. But I see more flaws than pros from these threads :S

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I don't think that's such a good idea for a 27 inch iMac.

The iPad will be waaaay out of your line of sight. Won't be comfortable - you'll have to adjust the way you're looking + your focus and if you're going back and forth between both displays you'll be fed up with it very soon. There are ways of sticking an iPad to the side of your MacBook - not so sure about the iMac.

At work I have a 19 inch monitor and to use my laptop as a 2nd monitor when docked I had to buy a stand to prop it up so both LCDs are in my lie of sight. Otherwise it just wouldn't work.

I only think it'll be useful if you plan on using it as a digitizer (in which case it'll be fantastic). Your iMac is already the size of an IMAX screen.

With all that said I think the best iPad for this case (casual use + Sidecar) would be a 12.9 iPad Pro, 2nd gen or 3rd gen.

I would agree if you were thinking of placing the iPad to the side of an iMac, but I stick it right under the iMac display and it's a natural vertical extension of the display with very minimal head movement thanks to the smart folio propping it up at a pleasant angle. I have no issues with the iPad as a secondary display, although I can't take advantage of sidecar because my iMac is too old. Instead I use Logic Remote on the iPad for when I produce music in Logic Pro X and it works just fine right underneath the iMac.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Sidecar with 27" iMac? Nah! Dual iMacs is where it's at! ;) (2010 iMac being used as monitor for 2017 iMac.)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dual-imacs.2052555/#post-24790730

dualimac_combined_1008_nogps-jpg.708199

Anyhoo, with a computer like the iMac that doesn't move, just buy a second screen for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.