Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
So, I finally sold my iPad Air 1 and got the second generation. Everything's fine so far, it barely lags compared to the previous generation.

Anyways, I got a tiny problem. It's not able to locate.
I tried everything. Clean iOS 9 install, rebooting etc.

I did some research, and found that other people had similar issues. So, basically my wifi router is not registered in Apple's database.
The weird part is that my Macbook is able to locate me. Don't they use the same technology for location? If it was my wifi router, my Macbook shouldn't be working either.
My iPad is the wifi version.

Does anybody have a clue what the problem might be? I'm kind of desperate and lost.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
If you have an iPhone and your data plan permits tethering over WiFi, try doing that for a little bit and then using Maps to locate yourself. The iPad will use the iPhone's GPS location as its own. This might maybe jump start things in terms of the iPad recognizing the location on it's own.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
If you have an iPhone and your data plan permits tethering over WiFi, try doing that for a little bit and then using Maps to locate yourself. The iPad will use the iPhone's GPS location as its own. This might maybe jump start things in terms of the iPad recognizing the location on it's own.
That should solve his problem.

shadyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015

Just tried that. The iPad was able to locate my position. When I interrupted tethering, and tried location via wifi, it stopped working :/

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Are you positive that you have location turned on (settings/privacy/location and then the individual apps checked) ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.