Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauljbax

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
I recently sold my iPad Mini 2 for $200.00 which I thought was a good price (was maxed out Gig wise).

Well, now I MISS IT and was wondering what everyone thought about my options. I primarily use at night as a surfing tool but also take to work and use as my iPod and to catch up on news as the day goes by. Also on the couch.

Should I wait for the next generation or will the mini 3 or 4 suffice? iPad original?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Depends. How much do you like the mini's form factor? Would you be fine with 9.7? If you really like the mini, then the mini 4 128GB ain't bad if you can catch it on sale for $300. I got one while I still can. Honestly, I expect Apple to EOL the mini sooner or later.

Reactions: akash.nu

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
I recently sold my iPad Mini 2 for $200.00 which I thought was a good price (was maxed out Gig wise).

Well, now I MISS IT and was wondering what everyone thought about my options. I primarily use at night as a surfing tool but also take to work and use as my iPod and to catch up on news as the day goes by. Also on the couch.

Should I wait for the next generation or will the mini 3 or 4 suffice? iPad original?

Go with the new iPad, it will be lighter, faster, facilitate multitasking, better battery, and that screen will be a huge upgrade too,

https://www.apple.com/ipad-9.7/

I just think if you go for the mini the screen size will annoy you and be a downgrade for consumption.

AppleRocks2011

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Check out the Refurbished part of the Apple’s online store. You’ll find awesome deals on some great iPads.... I got a 12.9” iPad Pro, and it’s absolutely awesome. Just a thought...

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

Don’t get the Mini 3. If someone offers it to you for free, make them pay you to take it off their hands.

The Mini 4 is absolutely awesome! It’s a great carry-around device.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Don’t get the Mini 3. If someone offers it to you for free, make them pay you to take it off their hands.

The Mini 4 is absolutely awesome! It’s a great carry-around device.

The problem with Mini 4 is it uses A8 and is sold at $399 by Apple even though it can be had for cheaper when BBY has sale and stuff.

The 2017 iPad on the other hand has the A9 chip which is much better than the A8 chip and has a MSRP of $329 it is easily available for $299

I sometimes don't understand Apple's decisions. Why not update the mini with the A9 chip, keep the MSRP of $299 and keep the product relevant.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
$200 was a good price for a used iPad mini. Whether Apple intends to succeed the iPad mini is uncertain.

I'm sure you can find a better deal than retail on the iPad mini 4: it's significantly better than the 2 or 3 – screen appearance, performance and form. If you don't care about size, then go ahead and look at the current-generation iPad. (Unless you're willing to spend a lot more, then look at iPad Pros, needless to say.)

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I think of this way. The current SOC is an A11! Max memory is 4GB of DDRLP4 for the iPad Pro. Screen resolution is stuck at 264ppi for iPad and larger models while Mini has 326ppi same as the 4.7" iPhones going back to 2011!

Mini 4 has A8 and 2GB of DDRLP3 with 326ppi.

Apple needs to up their ppi to at least 326ppi so the characters do not show fragmentation that I see since I have shape near sighted vision. Erica Griffin always notice that too in her reviews.

It really depends on what features you value in an iPad and what you use it for. Gaming and video watching is perfect now! Reading text, get the Mini!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The problem with Mini 4 is it uses A8 and is sold at $399 by Apple even though it can be had for cheaper when BBY has sale and stuff.

The 2017 iPad on the other hand has the A9 chip which is much better than the A8 chip and has a MSRP of $329 it is easily available for $299

I sometimes don't understand Apple's decisions. Why not update the mini with the A9 chip, keep the MSRP of $299 and keep the product relevant.
The iPad mini 4 has a fully laminated display. An out of warranty replacement for mini 3 and 4 is $299, iirc whereas 2017 iPad's OOW is $249 so MSRP of $299 on the mini 4 probably wouldn't give Apple their desired profit margins. A display downgrade (ergo weight gain) is more detrimental on the mini than on the 9.7 iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.