Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g2only

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2015
USA
Hi MR peeps!

I’m looking to buy a used iPad for my elderly mom to be able to receive texts/iMessages from the family (all iPhone users at this point), but wondered what’s the oldest year model to start at as I start looking in the marketplace/eBay/etc…?

I’d like to go larger than a mini, if possible AND the sky is NOT the limit of the budget—$150-200.

Also, I prefer to get a Wi-Fi only solution to avoid another monthly expense. ;)

Appreciate any insight/suggestions!

Thanks

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Any of the base model iPads from the last several years should work fine. If you're looking to keep it for a few years I'd stick with 8th/9th Gen or newer since the A10 chip in the 6th/7th Gens is getting a bit long in the tooth. That being said, the speed may not make a difference to the user, so the real concern with the A10 will be software support.

You should be able to find an 8th Gen on Swappa or eBay for ~$200 if you have the time/desire to be very vigilant. However, at that price point you may be better off looking for a 7th gen.

Reactions: g2only and ericwn

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iPad 5th gen is the lowest that will be supported on iOS 16. That said, who knows until when it will stop getting support.

I would highly recommend going with the iPad 8th gen if possible.

Reactions: g2only
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.