Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I have backedup/stored my iPhone photos to my computer using the lightning cable. I also have an iPad that i want to backup. Can i back the iPad to my computer also? How?

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Does all the footage get mixed up, or can i understand which belongs to each?

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
It doesn't get messed up. The cloud and iTunes understand which is which.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ok, so when its time to restore those 2backups to the appropriate device, how do i do it? Is there a list that shows which of the two backups to restore? Meaning which is for the iPad and which is for the iPhone?

Last edited:

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Ok, so when its time to restore those 2backups to the appropriate device, how do i do it? Is there a list that shows which of the two backups to restore? Meaning which is for the iPad and which is for the iPhone?
Dude, connect whatever Apple device you want to. iTunes takes you by the hand.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
So I just connect any device and press the backup button and that's all to it?
What happens when I need to restore?

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Have a look at the backups that iTunes has made so far, if you like, you should see a section in the preferences of the program. When you restore, you are offered a selection of all applicable options, including to restore and set up as new device or chose from any available backup.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
By default, unless you change that somehow, iTunes keeps at least one running backup for each device that you decide to backup to the computer. These backups are incremental, every time you connect a device it backs up what has changed since the last sync. In addition, when you restore a device via iTunes, iTunes offers you an extra backup. This is sort of the last device snapshot before it gets erased in the restore process. That restore backup should show a time stamp in its name for easy identification.

Reactions: zoran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.