Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

godorowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2024
My wife had 2018 iPad Pro 11" and she was using it to work on photos on Lightroom for iPad.
She makes photos using Canon R so they are 30mpix .cr3 raws. Nothing too fancy.

From like a year Lightroom started to work like a ****ing ****. Many errors like screen goes green while rotating ipad and lags when using apple pencil. You draw some mask and need to wait like 1-2s before app reacts to your pencil movement wtf.

We tried to contact Adobe like milion times but they say they don't get much reports about performance so they suggested to upgrade iPad cause it's getting old.

We bought new M4 13" and.. screen is black while rotating - not green (thats one thing better) but still this app have like 1-2s lag while drawing a mask over a photo. Overall it works like ****, not really a diffrence from 2018 iPad pro.

Is there a chance that Apple while introducing new iOS will force ****** app makers to upgrade their apps code for "new amazing" apple technologies like metal so those apps will run as snappy as any other Apple made app?

Or should I just give up hoping?

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Odds are adobe is not using pencilkit so its use will be laggier than in other apps. If you use your finger to draw the mask what’s the experience like

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I’ve used Lightroom on a bunch of iPads, including my current M1 IPad Pro - Lightroom runs like a breeze and pencil related movements appear immediately with zero lag. Something else is going on here…

My thought, too. I work a lot on 30+MB RAW Canon images on my M4 13" and previously on an M1 12.9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.