Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
From what I've read, the original Air users get absolutely nothing, but it appeared to be from users who tried to access Slide Over the iOS 9/10 way. Is this feature available at all, and is any form of drag and drop supported?
Is the dock accessible like in the newer devices?
Can you hold a dock icon to access recent files?
Apologies for so many questions, but I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Thank You :)

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
ipad mini never received any of the previous iOS ipad multitasking/split screen features either. not enough RAM.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ipad mini never received any of the previous iOS ipad multitasking/split screen features either. not enough RAM.
He's talking about the Mini 2, not the 1st gen Mini. The Mini 2 (and 3) did receive slide over, but not the full split screen multitasking. Will be interesting to see what features from iOS 11 make it to these older devices. I imagine it will be fairly limited.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yep, slide over is still there, but you access it by dragging an app icon out of the dock. So it's not really 'sliding over' anything. Drag and drop also works, but obviously it's not as easy as having both apps in split screen.

Can't figure out how to access recent files from the Files app in the Dock though. Would seem an odd feature to omit, but any form of holding on the icon doesn't do anything until they start wiggling and go into delete/move mode.

Reactions: ashindnile

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
Yep, slide over is still there, but you access it by dragging an app icon out of the dock. So it's not really 'sliding over' anything. Drag and drop also works, but obviously it's not as easy as having both apps in split screen.

Can't figure out how to access recent files from the Files app in the Dock though. Would seem an odd feature to omit, but any form of holding on the icon doesn't do anything until they start wiggling and go into delete/move mode.
Thanks so much! Maybe try flicking up on an icon?
Also, does that mean you can now use two apps simultaneously?(even though one is obstructed by another)

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks so much! Maybe try flicking up on an icon?
Also, does that mean you can now use two apps simultaneously?(even though one is obstructed by another)
Unfortunately you're still limited to just the one app, so either the main app or the one you're using in slide over.

Still can't seem to access recent files from the dock!

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
Unfortunately you're still limited to just the one app, so either the main app or the one you're using in slide over.

Still can't seem to access recent files from the dock!
What happens when you try to use the other app? Does this one disappear?

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
@cambookpro just a follow up. After moving files around using drag drop from photos to files, I was able to access recents on the files app by long hold. iOS 11 is great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.