Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I didn't realize these prices until just a week or so ago... So I'm curious, why would Apple price these two iPads the same when one is more powerful, better GPU and CPU, and has bigger screen yet still portable. I mean it's nice the Air 2 is such a low price but I feel it's silly of Apple to have the Mini 4 priced the same. I love the size of the mini 4, but what do you think... is the Mini 4 worth the price tag over the Air 2?
Despite this sounding like another "help me decide" thread, (it's actually not) I'm actually just curious about the rational of Apple, and people who buy the Mini 4 instead of the Air 2 when the price is the same.
(Excluding myself, as I like the mini 4 size, though I do wish the price would have been $50-100 less, but whatever.) ;) lol
I know this is a silly and odd thread, but again I'm just curious.

Kal.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
I didn't realize these prices until just a week or so ago... So I'm curious, why would Apple price these two iPads the same when one is more powerful, better GPU and CPU, and has bigger screen yet still portable. I mean it's nice the Air 2 is such a low price but I feel it's silly of Apple to have the Mini 4 priced the same. I love the size of the mini 4, but what do you think... is the Mini 4 worth the price tag over the Air 2?
Despite this sounding like another "help me decide" thread, (it's actually not) I'm actually just curious about the rational of Apple, and people who buy the Mini 4 instead of the Air 2 when the price is the same.
(Excluding myself.) ;) lol
I know this is a silly and odd thread, but again I'm just curious.

Kal.

I'm actually curious about the rationale of people who would buy thise items at full price. I just sold a great mini 4 for less than $300. These latest iPads are not holding their value like the old ones. I have a 12.9 pro I need to sell and I'm not really expecting more than $550 even though it's mint.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I'm actually curious about the rationale of people who would buy thise items at full price. I just sold a great mini 4 for less than $300. These latest iPads are not holding their value like the old ones. I have a 12.9 pro I need to sell and I'm not really expecting more than $550 even though it's mint.
I bought my Mini 4 for full price as I had 150 gift card for Apple store, but I didn't realize the Air 2 was the same price. lol... I don't plan to do a return and exchange as even though the Air 2 has slightly beefier CPU and GPU, I love the Mini 4 size. But I agree Apple products have lost value in the secondary market. I think it's due to so many people already having iPads and there are also amazing sales for the newest ones. People probably figure they'd rather spend an extra 50-100 dollars for a new iPad v someone selling a used one.

Kallum.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I suppose the pricing is to reflect that the iPad Mini 4 is still "the latest" iPad Mini, whereas the iPad Air 2 is now considered "last generation".

RIP to the stillborn iPad Air 3 :(

The 9.7" iPad Pro is the iPad Air 3. It's all just a name and marketing.

Regarding the original question, it is quite baffling. Although, when it comes to the Air 2 and Mini 4 I've always said go for the form factor that you prefer. The difference between the A8 and A8X is not significant in most scenarios. So for most people, the Mini 4 is just a smaller Air 2, and many consider the greater portability to be an advantage, not a sacrifice. That's probably how Apple justifies pricing them the same. Also, it's probably largely based on the principle that the Mini 4 is still less than a year old and is their best mini tablet, and thus it's too soon for a price cut. It actually wouldn't surprise me if come fall there isn't a Mini 5 and instead they just give the 4 a price cut.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
It's not about money. I would buy the mini's form factor no matter the price. The mini form is made for me. It is what I like.
My wife has an Air 2. It is what she likes.
What Apple does with pricing, or why gasoline prices change is beyond me.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3 and LiveM

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
You know my dads name is Andres Cantù! Are you from Texas?

On the topic at hand you can regularity find new mini 4 for 315 or so. That's all I would pay.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
You know my dads name is Andres Cantù! Are you from Texas?

On the topic at hand you can regularity find new mini 4 for 315 or so. That's all I would pay.
I live in the RGV, so yes :)

The mini 4 really should be cheaper than the Air 2, but at least it's not a rip-off like the iPad 2 was for $399 at the beginning of 2014, when you could get an A7 instead of the A5.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
I live in the RGV, so yes :)

The mini 4 really should be cheaper than the Air 2, but at least it's not a rip-off like the iPad 2 was for $399 at the beginning of 2014, when you could get an A7 instead of the A5.

Hmmmm. My dad and his family were from Harlingen. Wonder if we are related. They were accordionists back in the day.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Miniaturisation sometimes comes with a price premium. The Mini 4 is lighter and smaller, which makes it easier to hold for long periods even with one hand - and more convenient for portrait-mode reading e.g. e-books, Kindle etc.

Also I think the Mini 4 has slightly better battery life?

On the other hand, the Air 2 has a better screen, in terms of contrast and max brightness. Not that the Mini 4 is a bad screen (it's actually a very good one, for the first time in this mini product series) but the Air 2 screen is outstanding. You do nee to put them side-by-side to know it, so it's not a problem in the Mini 4, more like an upside in the Air 2.

Basically Apple is being cheeky with the pricing here, but this probably reflects the fact that the Mini 4 does not have any real competition in the premium segment. So they can probably get away with it.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
The iPad Mini 4 screen is better than both the Air 2 and the original Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.