Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopGuy1104

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
Brentwood, NY
Help me out. I own an iPad Air 4 which I use as sort of my computer companion (mostly for entertainment and even some school work) however I've heard of how amazing the iPad Mini is for entertainment and with Apple Pencil. I am thinking about whether I want to keep my iPad Air 4 or whether to trade for an iPad Mini 6. My goal with iPad's in overall is to have that true tablet experience while also having something to back up my computer and my iPhone in case I were to lose or break any of them. I already own a bunch of accessories for my iPad Air. So should I keep my Air and take advantage of the bigger size or go small with iPad Mini 6?

Update: I’m sticking with the Air. Mini is great but there’s things like no keyboard and i kinda like the bigger screen of the Air therefore, i’m keeping the Air.

Last edited:

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I have an iPad Air 2020 and an iPad mini 5. The iPad mini 5 is best at reading ebooks, is lighter and smaller, therefore easier to hold for long periods of time. However, the screen is too small for a decent experience with browsing the internet. The iPad Air 2020 is better at browsing the internet, watching videos, and general entertainment. Neither is worth a of ? for doing computer stuff like spreadsheets, documentation, higher levels of photo and video editing, etc. The iPadOS is a total POS when it comes to trying to use an iPad as a laptop. Every computer type of task takes several times longer than it would on a laptop. The iPadOS Files app is also total crappage, and in no way acts like a traditional laptop filing system. I bought the keyboard and it really doesn't do a lot to improve on the shortcomings of iPadOS. I also bought a Logitech Crayon and it works well, but I rarely find a good use for it other than drawing.

In summation, the iPads are great for entertainment, but they suck at computer tasks. If you want an entertainment device, then either the iPad Air 2020 or the iPad mini 6 are good, and the major decision is basically whether you want a bigger or smaller screen.

Reactions: TopGuy1104

TopGuy1104

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
Brentwood, NY
I have an iPad Air 2020 and an iPad mini 5. The iPad mini 5 is best at reading ebooks, is lighter and smaller, therefore easier to hold for long periods of time. However, the screen is too small for a decent experience with browsing the internet. The iPad Air 2020 is better at browsing the internet, watching videos, and general entertainment. Neither is worth a of ? for doing computer stuff like spreadsheets, documentation, higher levels of photo and video editing, etc. The iPadOS is a total POS when it comes to trying to use an iPad as a laptop. Every computer type of task takes several times longer than it would on a laptop. The iPadOS Files app is also total crappage, and in no way acts like a traditional laptop filing system. I bought the keyboard and it really doesn't do a lot to improve on the shortcomings of iPadOS. I also bought a Logitech Crayon and it works well, but I rarely find a good use for it other than drawing.

In summation, the iPads are great for entertainment, but they suck at computer tasks. If you want an entertainment device, then either the iPad Air 2020 or the iPad mini 6 are good, and the major decision is basically whether you want a bigger or smaller screen.
I think i’m going to stick with the Air. The new mini is great but there’s lots of perks about having the Air especially with keyboard that I would rather keep than lose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.