Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Hi all, apologies if this should have been a in a different thread or has already been covered - I did scan through to see if this was the case. My 12 inch MacBook has recently gone downhill with battery life and e key falling off and I have always been tempted to replaced it with 12. 9 inch iPad Pro. The issue has always been mouse support to edit my website in weebly, especially cursor hovers which are needed. This now seems mainly to be addressed with iPadOS 13.4.

For the last week I have been experimenting with my daughter's iPad and a cheap Technet Bluetooth mouse. Everything seems to work fine apart from scrolling dropping off (which has been raised by others). The main issue I find is that iPadOS with safari when I edit text in Google Docs and Weebly confuses a click and drag with scrolling. So in Google Docs for example if I try to select text by clicking and dragging across the text then it also moves the page as well. It does the same in Weebly and also does this when I try to reorder pages in Weebly by clicking and dragging them.
Obviously on a touch screen you hold your finger on the screen while scrolling and it seems to mix this up with selecting text. This only applies to text fields in safari, not static text on websites etc.
I was wondering if others were seeing this, in particularly those using Magic Trackpad 2, which I am tempted to purchased to see if this sorts the issue but thought I was post here first?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Hi all, apologies if this should have been a in a different thread or has already been covered - I did scan through to see if this was the case. My 12 inch MacBook has recently gone downhill with battery life and e key falling off and I have always been tempted to replaced it with 12. 9 inch iPad Pro. The issue has always been mouse support to edit my website in weebly, especially cursor hovers which are needed. This now seems mainly to be addressed with iPadOS 13.4.

For the last week I have been experimenting with my daughter's iPad and a cheap Technet Bluetooth mouse. Everything seems to work fine apart from scrolling dropping off (which has been raised by others). The main issue I find is that iPadOS with safari when I edit text in Google Docs and Weebly confuses a click and drag with scrolling. So in Google Docs for example if I try to select text by clicking and dragging across the text then it also moves the page as well. It does the same in Weebly and also does this when I try to reorder pages in Weebly by clicking and dragging them.
Obviously on a touch screen you hold your finger on the screen while scrolling and it seems to mix this up with selecting text. This only applies to text fields in safari, not static text on websites etc.
I was wondering if others were seeing this, in particularly those using Magic Trackpad 2, which I am tempted to purchased to see if this sorts the issue but thought I was post here first?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

How are the buttons mapped in AssistiveTouch and is AssistiveTouch enabled?

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Turning off assistive touch has corrected the text selection issue but not the Weebly organising pages issue so I'm nearly there. ?

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Uh ? What scrolling issues are we talking about ? On the Mouse ? I do not have any scrolling issues ? Maybe I am going looking for problems here.

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Uh ? What scrolling issues are we talking about ? On the Mouse ? I do not have any scrolling issues ? Maybe I am going looking for problems here.
More clicking and dragging in certain websites such as Weebly than scrolling.

DogLoaf

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2020
I’m experiencing the same issue (on google docs) and i exactly know what you’re dealing with. Just wanted to thank you for mentioning that turning off assistive touch fixes the scrolling issue, cause that was the main concern for me. Although, it’s quite unfortunate that now I can’t map the extra buttons on my mouse. I feel like these issues are mainly faced by people who’re using an external mouse and not a trackpad, it seems like trackpads ( like the logitech keyboards and Apple’s own Magic Trackpad) work more natively right out of the box. I hope mouse support gets more polished in the future updates. *fingers crossed*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.