Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rex3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
I was on vacation last week and downloaded all of my photos to my iPad Pro. My iPad is WiFi only, and it was connected to my iPhone’s hotspot, and it uploaded 20 GB of photos to my iCloud, using up my 20 GB of ATT data for the whole month in just a few days.

On my iPhone, there’s an option in the Settings/Photos to not allow uploads using cellular data. However, on my WiFi-only iPad, I can’t find any setting to allow it to upload photos on WiFi but NOT when connected to a personal hotspot on my phone. Is there any way to do that? Are there any other ways to prevent this kind of thing from happening?

reycat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
I was on vacation last week and downloaded all of my photos to my iPad Pro. My iPad is WiFi only, and it was connected to my iPhone’s hotspot, and it uploaded 20 GB of photos to my iCloud, using up my 20 GB of ATT data for the whole month in just a few days.

On my iPhone, there’s an option in the Settings/Photos to not allow uploads using cellular data. However, on my WiFi-only iPad, I can’t find any setting to allow it to upload photos on WiFi but NOT when connected to a personal hotspot on my phone. Is there any way to do that? Are there any other ways to prevent this kind of thing from happening?

Today I noticed a "Low data mode" option in WiFi settings.

I'm on iOS 13 DB6, I don't know it was there previously.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There is no related setting in iOS 12 and prior. Only in iOS 13 a low data mode is introduced for wifi and mobile connection to preserve data. That means it is very dangerous to use wifi only device with personal hotspot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.