Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meliorum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
I just received a new iPad Pro, 256 GB, Space Grey, Wi-Fi only. When looking it over, I noticed that the case is slightly curved/warped. It is quite noticeable when looking along the long edge - it's curved concave up, and might be about 1-1.5 mm or so in the middle. You can even see it in the screen reflection.

I am aware of this post https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7516608?start=0&tstart=0 , and I have read through it thoroughly. From reading it, it looked like this condition was common with the 9.7 Pro - even some owners had gone through four units, all with "curved" cases. My daughter's old iPad 2 is barely concave, our two iPad mini's are perfectly straight - but their cases are small, so they are stiffer.

As good as these are, I do think that Apple has pushed the engineering past the point of what the materials can ideally support. It is now so thin that after the manufacturing process, gluing/pressing everything together, etc. that this warpage is almost inevitable.

I'm fairly certain Apple is aware of this - especially after reading through the thread that I linked above. These are expensive, premium devices, and it does disappoint me that this is considered acceptable.

My question to other iPad Pro 10.5 users - is yours warped as well?

Note - I tried to post this exact text to the Apple Support Community, but it wouldn't let me at all. After seeing a post here about censoring - I think that I was blocked since this looks negatively on Apple.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If your iPad is slightly bent and you want to return it, they will replace with no problem. There were several threads where people were seeing a slight bend when looking down the edge of their iPad.

It may not harm anything but if it bothers you . . . . .

Meliorum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
If your iPad is slightly bent and you want to return it, they will replace with no problem. There were several threads where people were seeing a slight bend when looking down the edge of their iPad.

It may not harm anything but if it bothers you . . . . .

Yeah - I searched Google up and down for this issue, but should have done a better search on this forum first. This thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-your-ipad-pro-10-5-curved.2051164/ addresses what I'm talking about. Sounds like it's just inherent with how iPads are made. Especially the larger/thinner models.

kgrass

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
I just received a new iPad Pro, 256 GB, Space Grey, Wi-Fi only. When looking it over, I noticed that the case is slightly curved/warped. It is quite noticeable when looking along the long edge - it's curved concave up, and might be about 1-1.5 mm or so in the middle. You can even see it in the screen reflection.

I am aware of this post https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7516608?start=0&tstart=0 , and I have read through it thoroughly. From reading it, it looked like this condition was common with the 9.7 Pro - even some owners had gone through four units, all with "curved" cases. My daughter's old iPad 2 is barely concave, our two iPad mini's are perfectly straight - but their cases are small, so they are stiffer.

As good as these are, I do think that Apple has pushed the engineering past the point of what the materials can ideally support. It is now so thin that after the manufacturing process, gluing/pressing everything together, etc. that this warpage is almost inevitable.

I'm fairly certain Apple is aware of this - especially after reading through the thread that I linked above. These are expensive, premium devices, and it does disappoint me that this is considered acceptable.

My question to other iPad Pro 10.5 users - is yours warped as well?

Note - I tried to post this exact text to the Apple Support Community, but it wouldn't let me at all. After seeing a post here about censoring - I think that I was blocked since this looks negatively on Apple.

Yes, I have this same problem and have been looking for a resolution. So far I haven’t found any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.