Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
My 2½ year old iPad Pro 10.5 seems to go run down more quickly. After recalibration coconut battery claimed only 64% of design capacity. Running it this morning from a full charge I got 20 min. of browsing news and about 4 hours of playing downloaded videos. Then I got the 10% warning.
I seem to remember 7 - 8 hrs of media play.

Last week I saw an Apple Genius and his diagnostics claimed 90% of design capacity.
I am glad to pay the $99 battery charge but would like my old life back. I will make another appointment armed with this new info.

What play duration are others seeing - new or used? Am I out of line?

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Coconut battery isn't always accurate.
Here is the difference in approach as described by Chris Sinai from Coconut Flavor: "Currently coconutBattery reads the “current” battery health as it is measured directly by the battery management chip. Apple in general uses a different approach to measure the health value (of course this shows the best possible health for the battery): they measure the health over a period of time and will lower their health value a fixed amount from 100% when the actual health is below this. As these ranges are quite long the apple health value will need some time to show the actual health value. I can understand this approach as it will prevent statistical error but they should disclose their actual algorithm."

My sense is that Apple tries to have the battery presented in a better way. Given my experience with the reduction in actual battery life, I suspect Coconut is actually closer to what is real.

My iPhone 11 Pro is very healthy with good life and the match with Coconut is closer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.