Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applegoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 31, 2022
Hey there, fellow tech enthusiasts! 👋

I'm currently faced with a decision and would love to hear your insights. I'm contemplating whether I should purchase the 12.9 M1 iPad Pro or the newer 12.9 M2 iPad Pro. The catch is, the M1 model is available at a $167 discount, and it's still sealed in the box.

Considering my primary use cases are browsing the web and note-taking, I'm wondering if it's worth buying the M1 iPad Pro given the price difference. While the M2 model may have some upgraded features, is it really necessary for my specific needs?

I'd appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this matter. Have any of you used both models and can provide insights into the differences between them? Are the enhancements in the M2 version significant enough to justify spending the extra amount? Or would the M1 iPad Pro suffice for my browsing and note-taking requirements?

Feel free to share your experiences, advice, or any other considerations that might help me make an informed decision. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your valuable input. I'm excited to hear your perspectives and make the best choice possible. Let's dive into this discussion together! 💬📱

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Have you tried holding 12.9" in person? Some people like it, some don't (like me). Take it as long as you dont have concern on its size and weight. Dont worry about M1 vs M2, as they only minor differences.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
The main difference will be that the M2 last longer via software updates, maybe it’s an extra year down the road. You might benefit from the WiFi 6e standard if your router supports it or eventually when you upgrade routers. The 167 dollar difference is minimal so I would suggest the M2.

What sucks is earlier this year they had great deals on M1 12 inch iPad pros, if I remember correctly it was 1000 for the 256 with cellular or 512 with no cellular in bestbuy. If you can wait and see if they have a promotion for Father’s Day since it’s this weekend.

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
I just bit the bullet on a 12.9-inch 256 GB iPad Pro M1 (Wi-Fi) from the Apple Refurbished store.

I got it for £929 - it seems the previous generation iPad Pro's are still based on the prices they were prior to the inflation-led increases we saw last year in the UK.

With that it kinda made it a no-brainer for me. To get the equivalent spec on a new current-gen M2 iPad Pro I'd have had to part with £1,369. That's a difference of £449 and I don't think the M2 chip, Apple Pencil Hover and Wi-Fi 6E are worth that much for my use case. I'm a regular at the Apple Refurb store and always been really pleased with the like-new quality, so the fact it's technically second hand isn't an issue for me either.

If the price is right I'd say go for whichever strikes the best balance between value for money and performance. For me I'd likely notice little difference between the M1 and M2 models. Given the fact we're only just seeing the 1st-generation iPad Pro's from 2015/16 losing support for iPadOS 17, I think it'll be good for many years regardless of if you get M1 or M2.

Reactions: ct2k7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.