Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StumpJumper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Hi guys, I bought an iPad pro 12.9 3rd gen about three weeks ago, but I didn't open it until two days ago on Christmas morning.

Today I've noticed the border between the glass and metal casing is very uneven around the edges. When holding it in landscape, the left bottom metal casing actually touches the glass, but the left top side has a 1.5mm gap. I've tried to show it in some photos (including a close-up of both edges) but its very noticeable in person.

I'd appreciate it if you can check your iPad pros and let me know if its the same or whether mine is just badly built before I contact apple support. I'm not sure if that is considered normal build quality for these new iPads (I'll be pretty disappointed if it is normal as the tolerances aren't very good for such an expensive product).

Attachments

• ipadborder1.jpg
    ipadborder1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,389
  • ipadborder2.jpg
    ipadborder2.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 939
  • ipadborder3.jpg
    ipadborder3.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 887

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah, if theres an actual gap btwn glass & edge that you can literally stick your finger nail into...that is not normal. Apple should be able to exchange this for you no prob. Set up an appointment at your local apple store, and bring it in asap.

StumpJumper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Yeah, if theres an actual gap btwn glass & edge that you can literally stick your finger nail into...that is not normal. Apple should be able to exchange this for you no prob. Set up an appointment at your local apple store, and bring it in asap.

Thanks for the confirmation. I can't easily get to an apple store, so I have arranged for it to be sent back through their website.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

Klankpad

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2018
I call you out for this fake post, I can clearly see this is a screenprotector that is missaligned in the first picture you can clearly see the mic hole, I will report you

Last edited:
Reactions: Marshall73

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I call you out for this fake post, I can clearly see this is a screenprotector that is missaligned in the first picture you can clearly see the mic hole, I will report you
I see this now you've pointed it out. What does your ipad look like without screen protector?

Klankpad

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2018
I see this now you've pointed it out. What does your ipad look like without screen protector?

Without a screenprotector the screen is less reflective, the mic hole will also have no darker tone, this is one of the first screenprotectors with no updated cutouts for the face id

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Without a screenprotector the screen is less reflective, the mic hole will also have no darker tone, this is one of the first screenprotectors with no updated cutouts for the face id
I meant what does first posters ipad look like without screen protector - ie is there still a gap?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I meant what does first posters ipad look like without screen protector - ie is there still a gap?

No. Probably not. This really is a hilarious thread. The issue is clearly the screen protector. Maybe the iPad was given to him/her as a gift with the screen protector already applied and he/she didn’t know?

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
No. Probably not. This really is a hilarious thread. The issue is clearly the screen protector. Maybe the iPad was given to him/her as a gift with the screen protector already applied and he/she didn’t know?

Mystery solved.

StumpJumper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Just for clarification, this wasn’t a joke thread, I purchased the iPad on eBay listed as new/open box. I genuinely thought there was a build quality issue so I contacted the seller about the gap after I posted here and yes they confirmed they had applied a screen protector which I had no idea about. Fair enough, I made a mistake which I apologise about, but I’m not sure why some of you are getting your knickers in such a twist (the guy talking about reporting me!).

Klankpad

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2018
Just for clarification, this wasn’t a joke thread, I purchased the iPad on eBay listed as new/open box. I genuinely thought there was a build quality issue so I contacted the seller about the gap after I posted here and yes they confirmed they had applied a screen protector which I had no idea about. Fair enough, I made a mistake which I apologise about, but I’m not sure why some of you are getting your knickers in such a twist (the guy talking about reporting me!).

My apologies, but there is so much missinformation going on lately, see bend gate posts, that I thought that this was another try to start something again about missaligned screens as I saw in an instance that it was a screenprotector on top of your screen, but end good all good, I'm glad it sorted out for you...

Hansl

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
My apologies, but there is so much missinformation going on lately, see bend gate posts, that I thought that this was another try to start something again about missaligned screens as I saw in an instance that it was a screenprotector on top of your screen, but end good all good, I'm glad it sorted out for you...

Let me share my thoughts with regards to the original message posted here. The concerns raised by him is absolutely valid. I can conclude myself having being through several sets of the iPad myself that there is some minor Gaps in between the Silver Metal frame and the Display. These gaps in some sets are more noticeable in some as compared to others.

Let me share this example from someone who posted on Reddit. If he is reading this, thanks for the image in advance. https://i.redd.it/njd6uflra6y11.jpg

In his image, it clearly shows noticeable gaps as mentioned here. I too have encountered sets with noticeable gaps until my current set which is least noticeable. But even so, my set has other flaws including the minor bents on the shorter side of the iPad near the antenna line.

In conclusion, the new iPad certainly isn’t perfect in terms of cosmetic or manufacturing point of view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.