Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tgman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2020
The other day a drink spilled in the bag my wife’s iPad Pro was in. A tiny bit of liquid got on the bottom edge of the iPad, where the charging port is. When she went to charge the iPad, nothing happened. When I looked in the port, it looked like the contacts had some gunk on them. I worked to gently clean the charging port with a narrow piece of flexible plastic and a soft toothbrush. I was able to clean it enough for the iPad to charge if the cord was moved just the right way. Since the Apple stores are currently closed, I needed to find a more permanent solution for the time being. This morning, I went and got QD contact cleaner. I sprayed a tiny burst in the port, let it dry for 30 minutes, then did another tiny burst, and let it dry for an hour. The port looks much cleaner, and it is easier to get the iPad to charge, but it’s not perfect. But my wife noticed the QD contact cleaner must have gotten behind the screen and not evaporated because there is distortion on the bottom portion of the screen (near the charging port). Any recommendations to solve this?—Rice and/or silica?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.