Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faythebest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Toronto
Hello all. Just got the White Magic Keyboard for my 12.9" iPad Pro 2021 as a gift. Yesterday morning, I saw discolouration on the top inside and sides of the keyboard. That was weird because I made sure my hands were clean before using it. And I never reach those surffaces. Keys and the trackpad are all intact.

So I took the Magic keyboard to my Apple store, the technician saw that and he said it wasn't normal even though it is white and it happens in less than a week. He agreed to replace it under warranty. They didn't have it in stock so will have to wait 3-4 days.

Has anyone experienced that?

Attachments

• IMG_5359.jpeg
    IMG_5359.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_5360.jpeg
    IMG_5360.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 261

faythebest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Toronto
Do you smoke or are around anyone that does? That looks like nicotine tar.
Nobody smokes in our house. Apple replaced the keyboard with a new one, so that was good. So far the discolouration hasn’t appeared on that one yet. The technician at Apple thought the keyboard was faulty. Maybe it happened by charging the iPad through the USB-C port on the case. The heat maybe did that.

elrey264

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2021
I got mine 15 days ago today. Same issue, the “white keyboard” started to become yellow-ish. I contacted apple, and since I was outside the 14 days window, though luck. The warranty will not cover cosmetic issues. Of course I am pissed because it is a $350 keyboard for a >$1K ipad.
What make it worst, is that before that they told me this they where wasting my time scheduling appointmens at an apple store. Apparently the strategy is to make you go there and there they drop the bomb.

My recomendation in this matter is to not get the white version, and if you do, use it a lot during 13 days, so by day 14 you will know if it works for you.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

faythebest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Toronto
I got mine 15 days ago today. Same issue, the “white keyboard” started to become yellow-ish. I contacted apple, and since I was outside the 14 days window, though luck. The warranty will not cover cosmetic issues. Of course I am pissed because it is a $350 keyboard for a >$1K ipad.
What make it worst, is that before that they told me this they where wasting my time scheduling appointmens at an apple store. Apparently the strategy is to make you go there and there they drop the bomb.

My recomendation in this matter is to not get the white version, and if you do, use it a lot during 13 days, so by day 14 you will know if it works for you.
That’s really sad they didn't replace it for you because the issue wasn’t created by you, it was faulty. So it should be covered with one year warranty. I guess the technician who helped me at the store was nice. You should try again.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

elrey264

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2021
That’s really sad they didn't replace it for you because the issue wasn’t created by you, it was faulty. So it should be covered with one year warranty. I guess the technician who helped me at the store was nice. You should try again.
Thanks for the tip. I will try again.

Reactions: faythebest
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.