Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanha124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
What is the actual capacity of the 256gb? I have seen the 32gb and the 128gb ones, but not the 256gb since it only came out a couple months ago.... On mine it says 232gb, but is that the same capacity that other 256gb ipad pro users have?

I'm asking because I got mine as an open-box certified from best buy and wanted to see if it was tampered with or not. LOL

jeanha124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
248,85 Gb

....wait... that can't be right...the capacity for the 128gb is 114gb. so that's 14gb less. The 256gb can't be 248.85gb left...that would be around the same as the 32gb as 27-28gb which isn't possible.

Last edited:

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I still believe 248 gb on a ipad pro with no file manager is a waste of space. ...some ability to easily drag and drop files into the iPad pro would be nice to fill up some of this space.....

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I still believe 248 gb on a ipad pro with no file manager is a waste of space. ...some ability to easily drag and drop files into the iPad pro would be nice to fill up some of this space.....
For some people this will be more of a problem, for others it will be easy to fill. A big library in iTunes or lossless music for example, or videos and photos from high resolution cameras.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice to be able to drag and drop files from a Mac or PC, of course.

Reactions: rui no onna

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

4K video and (coming to iOS 10) RAW photo editing can quickly fill up 256gb. There are also many apps that can take up 1-3gb just for the install without including user data you may additionally use up from use of said apps.

Reactions: alecgold

jeanha124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
Can ppl with the 256gb also let me know what capacity you have on Yours as well?

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

In just 6 months of owning mine I've already filled up 70GB. I'm starting to think I should have gone bigger than 128GB...

Silver78

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Apart from the ocational movies when traveling and a few music tracks I do not put many movies or music on my devices.
I do not consider myself an app hoarder but still I have only 11gb left on 128gb phone.
There is 60gb of pics on my phone (considering the picture icloud optimisation feature). several large apps on my ipadz also take up alot.

All my apple devices are 128gb and I would never go below that.
128gb was max when I got ipad pro but if I could have gone with 256gb. I would.

as said .... with 4k, easy fast picture access, a little music, room for some travel movies, not having to delete apps, serious apps are taking up alot now.

go for 256gb.

I hope for 256gb phone also.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Can ppl with the 256gb also let me know what capacity you have on Yours as well?
On my iPad Pro 9.7 running iOS 9.3.2, I'm showing 232GB, too. The user-available capacity varies between models and iOS versions. For example, iOS8 created a bigger root partition so going from iOS7 to iOS8 gave one less available capacity.

Another thing, it appears the higher the capacity, the bigger the root partition and/or overprovisioning.

iPad Air 16 GB
IDEMA Capacity: 16 GB
Computer Capacity: 15 GiB
User-Available Capacity: 12 GiB
Estimated Root Partition Size: 3 GiB

iPad 4 128 GB
IDEMA Capacity: 128 GB
Computer Capacity: 119 GiB
User-Available Capacity: 114 GiB
Estimated Root Partition Size: 5 GiB

iPad Pro 9.7 256 GB
IDEMA Capacity: 256 GB
Computer Capacity: 238 GiB
User-Available Capacity: 232 GiB
Estimated Root Partition Size: 6 GiB

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I just did a fresh install of iOS 10 yesterday and that is what it said in Settings.
ATM I have 81 Gb used and 167,03 Gb free. Hmmm, I could dump some more on this :)
[doublepost=1466585161][/doublepost]
I can easily retrieve files via Documents 5 from readdle. I login into my Mac Mini (with a TB2 Black Magic Multidock attached) and grab the files that I need. It's way faster to do it this way (wireless) then with a USB-2 cable.

jeanha124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
I just did a fresh install of iOS 10 yesterday and that is what it said in Settings.
ATM I have 81 Gb used and 167,03 Gb free. Hmmm, I could dump some more on this :)
[doublepost=1466585161][/doublepost]
I can easily retrieve files via Documents 5 from readdle. I login into my Mac Mini (with a TB2 Black Magic Multidock attached) and grab the files that I need. It's way faster to do it this way (wireless) then with a USB-2 cable.

I just downloaded Documents5, it's actually pretty cool and useful. Thanx for putting that comment up there hahaha xP.

Does anyone else know of anymore useful apps like this one? I got notability and started using it, so it's pretty good, but it'd be great if I knew what most people are using.

I'm also guessing that there hasn't been much done in ios10 so far for the iPad Pro, which is probably why the capacity got more space than we normally have. Since they probs got rid of the old stuff and just changed it for more space?

I have an unlimited google drive plan through my university account, so I'm just going to use that for most of my storage for documents and whatnot.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I just downloaded Documents5, it's actually pretty cool and useful. Thanx for putting that comment up there hahaha xP.

Does anyone else know of anymore useful apps like this one? I got notability and started using it, so it's pretty good, but it'd be great if I knew what most people are using.

I'm also guessing that there hasn't been much done in ios10 so far for the iPad Pro, which is probably why the capacity got more space than we normally have. Since they probs got rid of the old stuff and just changed it for more space?

I have an unlimited google drive plan through my university account, so I'm just going to use that for most of my storage for documents and whatnot.

FileBrowser is also nice and has similar file mgmt capabilities.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

If I didn't already have GoodReader, I would have probably purchased documents 5. But GoodReader's primary function for me is to view PDFs, and GR was the only? first app I found that could rotate PDFs. Between that, Google photos and Dropbox Pro, I'm pretty set with respect to accessing most of my files.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
4K video and (coming to iOS 10) RAW photo editing can quickly fill up 256gb. There are also many apps that can take up 1-3gb just for the install without including user data you may additionally use up from use of said apps.
I prefer to use my windows 10 devices for photo editing since its faster and a much smoother process on the latest skylake processors and i dont use the 4K video option at all since my phone has that option so im sitting with about 100 gb available on my ipad pro thats not going anywhere for now. Filling space without a file manager is too much of a process with iOS for "my use purposes.."

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
For some people this will be more of a problem, for others it will be easy to fill. A big library in iTunes or lossless music for example, or videos and photos from high resolution cameras.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice to be able to drag and drop files from a Mac or PC, of course.
You can use airdrop from your Mac to your iPad or iPhone

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Goodnotes for writing, I'm used to it and find it just a tad better than notability, but the iCloud integration of notability might be better.
then there is Jump Desktop for getting into the desktop of my macmini, it's not cheap, but the only one that is working easily, safely and very quick so far.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Mine also has 232 GB, but came with 227 GB available, since Apple had some apps like GarageBand/iMovies installed. Removed a few and managed to free more disk space.

How is this 256 GB? I noticed 250 GB = 232 Gibibytes.

Reactions: Coolpher

jeanha124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
I have Office 365 that I got for free from my friend... is notability still better than onenote per say? or should I just use them for different stuff??

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
The iPAD says that a minute of 4K recorded video can waste 375 MB. 200 MB for 1080p in 60 fps, and 130 MB for 1080p at 30 fps.

In my opinion no one should get a 16 GB iPAD and the 128 GB model is not that much expensive when compared to the 32 GB one. And not only 4K content, if we take into account all other things, what seems excessive today it will not be in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.