Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZolakJHS

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
Hi, so I moved recently and my 2012 27 inch iMac no longer really fits my space as I have to share deskspace with my work from home setup (permanently, not just for Corona) which has 2 24 inch monitors.
My computing needs are pretty basic at this point. I used to be a gamer, but for the past couple of years on the computer that has only meant Civ 6. So I ordered an i7 MacBook Air, but I am starting to rethink things with iPadOS 13.4 which enables mouse support for the iPad. I am a big mouse person (can't really use a trackpad to save my life). So now I am wondering if getting a 12.9 iPad Pro to use as my computer would make as much/more sense as the MacBook Air? Pricing out the two options they are pretty close, even factoring in a $350 Magic Keyboard.
Is anyone else just using an iPad as their only computer? What are the real world limitations to doing this?
Another advantage to this path for me is that I could sell my iPad Air 3, or perhaps give it to my girlfriend, so I'd be replacing two devices with one.
Appreciate any advice!!!

Short version: iPad pro as only computer? Thoughts?

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
The topic has been discussed over and over with tons of different opinions. You already have an Air 3 so there’s a current device. Attach a mouse and see for yourself - put the old computer to the side for 2 weeks and only use your iPad and see how the experience works out for your specific needs.

The iPad Pro only adds better components but the overall solution is similar to what you already have.

Best success- and if you run into specific problems come to the forum for advice.

ZolakJHS

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
The topic has been discussed over and over with tons of different opinions. You already have an Air 3 so there’s a current device. Attach a mouse and see for yourself - put the old computer to the side for 2 weeks and only use your iPad and see how the experience works out for your specific needs.

The iPad Pro only adds better components but the overall solution is similar to what you already have.

Best success- and if you run into specific problems come to the forum for advice.
Okay thanks... I took a quick peek and didn't see any threads at least near the top. I will give it a shot. I guess I have a week before the MacBook Air ships that I ordered before having second thoughts :)

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Like @ericwn says, the best thing to do is to try it out and see. This is exactly what I’m doing at the moment as I’ve no laptop just now.

I’ve been very impressed so far and native mouse support is the “missing link” as far as I’m concerned for finally being able to replace my laptop. If you do go down this route, definitely check out the Apple refurb store for a 12.9” as there’s very little change in the 2020 model....

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Okay thanks... I took a quick peek and didn't see any threads at least near the top. I will give it a shot. I guess I have a week before the MacBook Air ships that I ordered before having second thoughts :)

Best success with that!
The main reason why I suggest you try it out yourself is because you have a good starting point already. Whenever people ask the forum you end up with tons of opinions but they may not necessarily reflect your needs or use case as we are all different.

Reactions: ascender

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
MacBook Air would be a great buy but for me i sold my air to get the 12.9 so it can be my laptop replacement/tablet.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
With every hardware and iPadOS update, we get closer to the laptop replacement hope. However, what ultimately fails me every time is the software side. The iOS/iPadOS apps I need are significantly stripped down versions of their MacOS counterparts. For that reason alone, I will never fully cut the umbilical cord to my MacBook Pro.

I hate that I need two devices, but I am waiting for the day where I solely use my iPad alone. Good luck with your usage OP!

ZolakJHS

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
Okay... I have my Apple Wireless keyboard (pre magic) and magic mouse disconnected from my imac and the imac powered down. The mouse and keyboard are now connected to the ipad Air 3. So far so good, with only a couple of minor quibbles:
1) I don't like hitting command-H to get to the home screen, but I think the new keyboard case has a home button?
2) Sometimes on web pages that have scroll windows inside of the whole page which scrolls, the mouse doesn't know I want to scroll on the inner frame, so I have to click on the little scroll bar and drag

Everything else so far has been okay... I've been able to fully navigate the financial sites I use, and a couple of websites that tried to load into a tablet/mobile view I just told to switch to desktop and all was okay.

To be honest I'm pretty impressed how well this all works so far!

Reactions: ericwn

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2019
Okay... I have my Apple Wireless keyboard (pre magic) and magic mouse disconnected from my imac and the imac powered down. The mouse and keyboard are now connected to the ipad Air 3. So far so good, with only a couple of minor quibbles:
1) I don't like hitting command-H to get to the home screen, but I think the new keyboard case has a home button?
2) Sometimes on web pages that have scroll windows inside of the whole page which scrolls, the mouse doesn't know I want to scroll on the inner frame, so I have to click on the little scroll bar and drag

Everything else so far has been okay... I've been able to fully navigate the financial sites I use, and a couple of websites that tried to load into a tablet/mobile view I just told to switch to desktop and all was okay.

To be honest I'm pretty impressed how well this all works so far!

it will get much better into future updates

you also get better value with iPad Pro than Macbook Air

1. better performance (Bionic chips is leagues powerful than intel)
2. better screen (brighter, snappier, faster and sharper)
3. better portability, lighter and compact.
4. longevity since Apple is into iOS now than macOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.