Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tubereuse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
Hi everyone!

Today I was using my iPad 12.9 256gb Wi-Fi (2017) as usual and somehow I pressed my screen a little harder than usual. Nothing HARD my any means, just pressed instead of regular tapping. To my surprise, I hear this air whiff/air espaping sound coming off of the device. "Strange" I thought, but I had to check this.
It turns out that simple tapping on the screen doesn't produce any sound other than the regular tapping sound of my fingertips, HOWEVER, any pressure on the screen makes this subtle whiffing sound that's actually air escaping through the lightining port.

Ok, one more test: both my iPad Air 1 and old iPad 3 don't do that.

Question: any of you guys 12.9" iPad Pros’ does this?

God, I'm already having a headache imagining the headache that I'll have in the returning/getting a "new" one (if they don't try to push me a refurbished piece) process...

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
The iPad Pro is laminated to the surface glass, hence any sensitivity to forceful pressing of the screen. When I pressed too hard near the home button on mine, visible light leaked near the bezel. It’s a function of lamination. Those older iPads weren’t laminated.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.