Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Hello guys,

I need your help to see if I can do the following: I want to connect my iPad Pro to my MacBook Pro via USB-C to send audio from the iPad to the Mac. Is there any way of doing this? In theory USB-C is capable on sending audio, but I don't seem to find the way to send it to the Mac by connecting them together.
When I connect them, the iPad keeps sounding and the Mac only seems to be charging the iPad...

Im a music student and basically I have to use the console app (Universal Audio) so that I can play/record guitars and use headphones. There are a few apps that I use daily to practice (iReal, Harmonomics, Metronomics) and making this work would save me good money, so that I don't have to buy apps twice.

Thanks!!

PS: not sure if this belong to the iPad forum of the macbook forum...

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
The bad thing is that this software is 99$. I still think that there must be a way of of doing this with the only use of connecting both via USB-C and tweaking/activating some stuff.

I'm certain you can do it if you find a schematic of the USB-C Lightning cable. I suspect it's an analog out and it's just a matter of finding the right pins. I could be wrong though. Is it worth all that hassle to save $99? I'm skeptical on that part. :D

I didn't buy the software either. I'm in Canada so that's like $10,000 of our dollars so instead I went with a regular USB audio interface. My requirements were different from yours but US$99 for the software of a similar price for an audio interface, the audio interface won out for me.

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I'm certain you can do it if you find a schematic of the USB-C Lightning cable. I suspect it's an analog out and it's just a matter of finding the right pins. I could be wrong though. Is it worth all that hassle to save $99? I'm skeptical on that part. :D

I didn't buy the software either. I'm in Canada so that's like $10,000 of our dollars so instead I went with a regular USB audio interface. My requirements were different from yours but US$99 for the software of a similar price for an audio interface, the audio interface won out for me.

I do have an audio interface (Universal Audio Apollo Twin MkII) but it doesn't have an input for an aux cable. I would have to do a line in input and it's kind of a hustle to add more cables to the setup. I've just bought iReal on the Mac which is around 20$, so im set for now...!

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
When you connect the MBP and the iPad Pro via a type-C cable, then on the Mac launch Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup, check and see if the iPad Pro appears as any sort of audio input / output device. Rogue Amoeba's Loopback app requires devices to be already accessible via CoreAudio (thus appear in MIDI setup) in order to route / aggregate the audio inside.

I do not know of a piece of consumer or even semi-professional hardware that can take USB-Audio digitally back into a computer without any extra loop of D/A then A/D. Another route could be to use other digital protocols like HDMI out via a type-C dongle from the iPad Pro, then use a HDMI capture device on the MBP. Or maybe a USB to TOSLINK DDC on the iPad Pro (with a type-C to type-A dongle in the chain probably), then this TOSLINK goes into your UA Apollo Twin.

Reactions: crazyjorgito

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
When you connect the MBP and the iPad Pro via a type-C cable, then on the Mac launch Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup, check and see if the iPad Pro appears as any sort of audio input / output device. Rogue Amoeba's Loopback app requires devices to be already accessible via CoreAudio (thus appear in MIDI setup) in order to route / aggregate the audio inside.

I do not know of a piece of consumer or even semi-professional hardware that can take USB-Audio digitally back into a computer without any extra loop of D/A then A/D. Another route could be to use other digital protocols like HDMI out via a type-C dongle from the iPad Pro, then use a HDMI capture device on the MBP. Or maybe a USB to TOSLINK DDC on the iPad Pro (with a type-C to type-A dongle in the chain probably), then this TOSLINK goes into your UA Apollo Twin.

Thanks for the info!

Eerriikkoo

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2017

iOS has IDAM built in. Inter device audio midi. If you use Logic or Ableton you can use the iPad via usb as audio input. Or set it up as part of an audio aggregate. And midi runs over usb as well. You can load AU apps in your iPad as AUv3 plugins in a DAW on your Mac. It is all native, no extra software required. All is setup through the audio midi control app as you mentioned.

Reactions: Chancha

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
iOS has IDAM built in. Inter device audio midi. If you use Logic or Ableton you can use the iPad via usb as audio input. Or set it up as part of an audio aggregate. And midi runs over usb as well. You can load AU apps in your iPad as AUv3 plugins in a DAW on your Mac. It is all native, no extra software required. All is setup through the audio midi control app as you mentioned.
Thanks for the pointer. Wow, I have used iPhones/iPads since day one and never realized they have added this functionality. You are correct, both my iPad Pro 10.5" and iPhone X can act as an IDAM device when connected to an iMac (via Lightning to USB-C) and an MBP (via Lightning to USB-A) respectively. They show up as input devices through Audio MIDI, once enabled they can be routed/used as 44.1kHz 24bit input for any macOS audio apps that access CoreAudio.

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 11.04.34 .png Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 11.05.13 .png

Eerriikkoo

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2017
Thanks for the pointer. Wow, I have used iPhones/iPads since day one and never realized they have added this functionality. You are correct, both my iPad Pro 10.5" and iPhone X can act as an IDAM device when connected to an iMac (via Lightning to USB-C) and an MBP (via Lightning to USB-A) respectively. They show up as input devices through Audio MIDI, once enabled they can be routed/used as 44.1kHz 24bit input for any macOS audio apps that access CoreAudio.

View attachment 831466 View attachment 831465
Yes, and you can setup multiple inputs when you attach more than one device. Use audio aggregate for that.
Midi over usb was added in iOS 11 I think, audio in iOS 9/10.. Apple doesn’t communicate a lot about it, certainly not in the main keynotes, but these functions have been added step by step the last few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.