Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torukawahata

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
My partner just bought a brand new iPad Pro 12.9in model and noticed that the mics are not behaving correctly.
First, I can set up "Hey Siri" but after that Siri itself is not able to listen to my voice commands.
Dictation and recording with the camera work, but voice memos don't pick up any sound.

I already restarted, reset all settings and finally called apple support.
They recommended getting a replacement.
Does anyone have the same issues with the new iPad?

I had the same issues with iPhone 7 before, and I'm afraid it could be some hardware problem again.
I would love to hear some opinions!

IT WAS THE SCREEN PROTECTOR!!!
make sure yours have the cutout for the face id module because there's a mic there too!

Last edited:

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
My partner just bought a brand new iPad Pro 12.9in model and noticed that the mics are not behaving correctly.
First, I can set up "Hey Siri" but after that Siri itself is not able to listen to my voice commands.
Dictation and recording with the camera work, but voice memos don't pick up any sound.

I already restarted, reset all settings and finally called apple support.
They recommended getting a replacement.
Does anyone have the same issues with the new iPad?

I had the same issues with iPhone 7 before, and I'm afraid it could be some hardware problem again.
I would love to hear some opinions!
I haven't heard of an issue like that with anybody else's iPad Pro. Listen to Apple support.

torukawahata

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
I haven't heard of an issue like that with anybody else's iPad Pro. Listen to Apple support.

Funny thing, it was the screen protector (it didn't have a cutout for the front mic).
I'm glad it's solved, but the company who made it really should have been more careful.
It seems that the ones that were in the shop don't have a cutout, but the ones on the online shop do!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.