Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
For years I used Apple’s lightning AV dock adapter to stream YouTube content via a HDMI cable from a 2017 iPad Pro. The setup worked fine and I could stream video content full screen over HDMI while using other apps. Using the iPad solo, I could multitask and still have the YouTube content play in a floating window over other apps.

Now I have a brand new m2 iPad Pro, and under iOS 16 the behavior of the YouTube app and USB-C port are totally different, and IMO not in a good way. The YouTube app no longer supports a floating PIP display outside the app, only audio playback, and the USB-C AV adapter only allows screen mirroring over HDMI — there is no longer any full screen video.

Does anyone know if these changes are related to DRM restrictions or is this some inherent limitation of the M2’s ability to play content through the USB port?

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
I don't think it has anything to do with the M2 processor. The behavior you are experiencing with your new iPP has been similar for me on the 3rd gen 12.9" iPP, 4th gen iPad Air, 5th gen iPad Air and the 6th gen iPad mini. Background play has been a YouTube Premium feature for quite some time now. As far as using an adapter and getting full screen playback - I can only get that done via AirPlay, not an adapter.

Reactions: secretk

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
For years I used Apple’s lightning AV dock adapter to stream YouTube content via a HDMI cable from a 2017 iPad Pro. The setup worked fine and I could stream video content full screen over HDMI while using other apps. Using the iPad solo, I could multitask and still have the YouTube content play in a floating window over other apps.

Now I have a brand new m2 iPad Pro, and under iOS 16 the behavior of the YouTube app and USB-C port are totally different, and IMO not in a good way. The YouTube app no longer supports a floating PIP display outside the app, only audio playback, and the USB-C AV adapter only allows screen mirroring over HDMI — there is no longer any full screen video.

Does anyone know if these changes are related to DRM restrictions or is this some inherent limitation of the M2’s ability to play content through the USB port?
Apple significantly reduced the functionality of external display support in 16.1. This should improve when 16.2 releases in the next couple of weeks.
I suspect you’d see the same limitations in the 2017 iPad Pro if it’s running iPadOS 16.1.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Apple significantly reduced the functionality of external display support in 16.1. This should improve when 16.2 releases in the next couple of weeks.
I suspect you’d see the same limitations in the 2017 iPad Pro if it’s running iPadOS 16.1.
Thanks, that might explain the big differences, my old iPad is running on 15.X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.