Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roubaix2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2017
I was wondering what apps others are using for 2D and 3D CAD on their iPad Pros. I've been considering getting one specifically because I'd like to use it for CAD, but I'm not convinced that is either useful for that or that there are good apps for it.

Thanks!

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I tried shapr3d in the apple store and really liked it. I'll be getting an iPad Pro soon and am still unsure on size, mostly due to cad usage. Forum posts show people like it on the 10.5 just fine.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I was wondering what apps others are using for 2D and 3D CAD on their iPad Pros. I've been considering getting one specifically because I'd like to use it for CAD, but I'm not convinced that is either useful for that or that there are good apps for it.

Thanks!
I have a client who had autodesk DWG viewer and editor on their iPad Air 2 who used it for opening drawings and getting sizes etc when on site. He said that it was a bit clunky and slow, but was usable. I would imagine that it’s far far better now on the Pro, with more RAM and the more powerful cpu/gpu

imHappy

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Sadly I sold my ipad pro for this very reason. It is simply way too inefficient to work with the ipad for actual 2d/3d work/edit. Acad 360 honestly lacks rapidness, it is not compatible with the smart keyboard to input length for example. 3dshapr while cool its slow to materialize my ideas fast enough. For that reason the only app that really works is morpholio trace, it is really cool to design with.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I havent found anything I like yet. I use solidworks on my PC, but I havent found a iOS alternate that easily lets me generate multiple parts, sub assemblies up to the main assembly, and create 2D drawings from those models. Literally the only reason that my iPad cannot replace my laptop. I wish one day it can!

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I haven't tried anything yet. I use Autodesk Fusion 360 on my Mac. I'm still debating whether or not to buy an iPad Pro.
There is a rumour that Fusion 360 is going to be a web app run in a browser. http://projectleopard.com/. Look at the movie. It seem that they run Fusion 360 in Chrome on an iPad. Testing it myself but get an error message saying that mobile devices are not supported yet. Hopefully "yet" will be fixed soon.

See also:https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusi...ity/browser-f360-getting-started/td-p/6932699

ant_gamal

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2017
this important part for me

if cad app will run great on ios 11 i will get ipad pro 10.5
if not maybe wait to next

i hear that ios 11 will come with new app generation hope to be right

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
this important part for me

if cad app will run great on ios 11 i will get ipad pro 10.5
if not maybe wait to next

i hear that ios 11 will come with new app generation hope to be right

I think the big issue is the lack of development in the area. So its not necessarily about the iOS capabilities, but more on porting/developing the apps to work on iOS. Maybe they are waiting for more umph from the iPad before they get serious about it? I honestly couldnt really tell you why.

Horizon Man

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
I've been using OnShape a bit more lately. I only just got the iPad Pro. It took a little while to get used to it's idiosyncrasies but getting used to it, it´s ok for small projects, or small edits, but not something you want to use for a full fledged project.

The real issue isn't so much lack of features, though it is missing a few compared to the desktop, including the ability to make drawings. The issue is difficulty in control. They just haven't workout the UI to make it fluid. Feels like selecting etc is a hit or miss affair.

I hope they can make some improvements as I like to be able to work with the pencil from time to time, and find using the iPad will sometimes give a little different perspective on a project that can be good to have from time to time.

Reactions: ant_gamal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.