Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpace32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Hi - we have a 2021 5th generation iPad Pro 12" and when we went to use it this weekend the screen wouldn't respond to touch. We can operate the iPad perfectly fine from a keyboard but no touch. We tried hardware reset, running a full recovery and even updating to the latest iOS 17 with no luck. I wiped out all the data, took it to an Apple store and they want $750 to swap it with a refurb...

Anything else I can try? Apple Care expired a year ago! I feel like this must be software related because the the device is in perfect physical condition and barely moves.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hardware fails, for no apparent reason at all. And as you learned, Apple does ZERO repairs on the iPad; even a battery change is a whole-unit swap. That’s why I put monthly AppleCare+ on my iPads as soon as the 2-year AC+ runs out.

The only way you MIGHT get fixed for a reasonable cost, is a non-authorized repair shop. The trouble with those, of course, is that there are no guarantees beyond the level of trust you have with the shop. Best of luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.