Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DocRoss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
I have a new iPad Pro that I’m using for remote music lessons over FaceTime. For latency issues, I need to use wired headphones, not Bluetooth. Also, to avoid WiFi problems, I need to use Ethernet, and plugging in power is important too.
So I got a USB C hub the includes Ethernet and headphone jack, but sound does not play through the headphones for FaceTime calls! Music plays through the headphones, but not FaceTime.
What am I missing here? Is there a control in FaceTime to direct the sound out?

has anyone had luck with perhaps a different hub?
Thanks in advance.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I have a new iPad Pro that I’m using for remote music lessons over FaceTime. For latency issues, I need to use wired headphones, not Bluetooth. Also, to avoid WiFi problems, I need to use Ethernet, and plugging in power is important too.
So I got a USB C hub the includes Ethernet and headphone jack, but sound does not play through the headphones for FaceTime calls! Music plays through the headphones, but not FaceTime.
What am I missing here? Is there a control in FaceTime to direct the sound out?

has anyone had luck with perhaps a different hub?
Thanks in advance.
During a FaceTime call with the headphones connected, have you checked in control center to see if something is muted or not connected? Check the ringer volume and the media volume.

DocRoss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
I have, yes. I can go from the Music app playing through the headphones directly to FaceTime, and the audio plays through the speakers with no other changes.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
When you’re on FaceTime does anything change if you then unplug the headphones and connect them again?

DocRoss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Nope. Tried that too.
I really appreciate your help, even though it hasn’t worked yet.

DocRoss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Good thought. The description makes it sound like it will work, but sadly, the headphones don’t show up as a choice in the list.

DocRoss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
It’s unfortunate that the USB-C port on the Magic Keyboard doesn’t really do more than charge. If I could plug the hub with the Ethernet port to the Magic Keyboard, that would free up the iPad’s port for the headphones with adapter.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Good thought. The description makes it sound like it will work, but sadly, the headphones don’t show up as a choice in the list.

Do those headphones have a microphone? If not, I wonder if that may be the reason Facetime doesn't recognize them. Elsewhere, Apple says "Make sure that the headphones you use have a microphone attached so that they will work normally with FaceTime."

DocRoss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
You’re tracking my thought process exactly! That was the next thing I tried! Still no joy.
Now, they were 3rd party headphones, and I haven’t tried standard EarPods, but I wouldn’t want to use them anyway.

Reactions: sparksd

Flute Ipad

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2019
Hi, I have exactly your problem! I teach flute over zoom and have some very good 3.5mm headphones that I want to use but I also want to use Ethernet. I have also tried two different hubs, without success. The Hyperdrive 9-in-1 hub does give me sound through the headphones but disables the built in microphone on the iPad because it assumes that the 3.5mm input is TRSS, which includes a mic instead of TRS which does not have a mic. You could try the hyperdrive if you are willing to use wired headphones with a built in mic, but this won’t work for me as the sound when demonstrating flute over a little headphone mic is horrible. Some iPad users have told me that the Kingston Nucleum hub works with headphones but it doesn’t have an Ethernet input. I am considering trying an adapter into this hub which would go from Ethernet to USB-A, although I am not too hopeful..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.