Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
From a rumor yesterday:

"Aside from the Mac Pro, Holwerda also believes Apple is working on ... developing other features aimed at professionals, such as pairing the iPad Pro with a Mac so that it can be used as a Cintiq-style drawing tablet."

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/06/mac-pro-may-not-ship-until-2019/

In the midst of all this crazy cool Mac news this actually piqued my interest the most because it's most directly related to my current needs. Duet Pro and Astropad are great workarounds but they are still workarounds with their pitfalls. And getting a dedicated portable Cintiq is way too bulky and cumbersome when an iPad Pro is so slim and light--with great battery--and could serve perfectly as a cintiq on top of its many other functions.

So has anyone else been pining for this? How believable do you think this rumor is? What do you think the implementation might be? USB-C connection via thunderbolt port? USB-C port replacing thunderbolt port? General thoughts?

Exciting times

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
imho the appeal of using the ipad pro is having it wireless when connected to a mac using astropad. Wireless is something wacom has never been able to do with their cintiqs. It's pretty cool sitting on my bed working in photoshop with the ipad wirelessly connected to my imac across the room. Astropad is pretty amazing. I just wish they could lose the resolution loss when zooming and rotating. I haven't tried the pro version though.

also 13 inch is absolutely minimal really when working as a cintiq. 16 is way more comfortable. so unless they make a 15/16 inch ipad pro to use as a cintiq pro.....

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
imho the appeal of using the ipad pro is having it wireless when connected to a mac using astropad. Wireless is something wacom has never been able to do with their cintiqs. It's pretty cool sitting on my bed working in photoshop with the ipad wirelessly connected to my imac across the room. Astropad is pretty amazing. I just wish they could lose the resolution loss when zooming and rotating. I haven't tried the pro version though.

also 13 inch is absolutely minimal really when working as a cintiq. 16 is way more comfortable. so unless they make a 15/16 inch ipad pro to use as a cintiq pro.....

I agree wireless is pretty great at times and it's something that an iPad would be able to bring to the table that no cintiq probably can. But two things about that are, first, I don't know how feasible it is to have wireless drawing without at least a little lag or low resolution; and second, drawing in a desktop application away from my computer is not personally something I would need to do often, if ever. I almost always use my laptop screen as a second display for reference images as I work on my cintiq. And I can't get a lot of work done if I'm lounging too comfortably anyway. I prefer working at a desk. But if I do want to draw casually away from my computer I just use Procreate on the iPad. That said, if they can pull wireless off with full resolution and no lag, it would be a welcomed feature.

I agree 15-16" is more ideal but that's only become an option recently with the Wacom mobile studio pro. Up until the mobile studio 16, 13" has pretty much been the max size for portable tablet displays including cintiqs. But I don't mind 13 because it's only for when I need to go mobile. Most times I work at a desk with a full sized cintiq.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.