Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Not sure if this is the right forum for this but here goes!

I currently have a 13" rMBP, a headless mac mini (which I use as a media server), an iPad Pro, an iPad mini 4& iPhone 6s.

I recently sold my 27" iMac as it was never being used, and since picking up the iPad Pro (+ Smart keyboard & Pencil) I've found myself barely using the rMBP and even the iPad mini 4.

However I will occasionally need to use a mac for file & media download maintenance/conversion, etc., so what I thinking I could do is pass my 13" rMBP to my wife (she has an old 13" Air which I could sell), and use the mac mini as a computer for whenever I need it.

I currently use teamviewer to dial into the mac mini, but was wondering if there was a decent (minimal lag) app that I could use on the iPad pro to use it as the sole monitor for the mac mini, and use a Bluetooth mouse + keyboard. Also is there an app that would allow me to also use the smart keyboard on the iPad instead of a bluetooth keyboard, as I currently do with teamviewer?

The mac mini is stored in a cupboard with other HDD's, so I'd really prefer a wireless app (having looked into duet display which needs a tethered connection).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I'm using Screens to connect to my Macs. I think it's pretty much the same thing like Team Viewer. A mouse will not work with the iPad but if you're close enough to the Mac you can use BT mouse+keyboard connected directly to the computer and view the screen on the iPad.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I'm using Screens to connect to my Macs. I think it's pretty much the same thing like Team Viewer. A mouse will not work with the iPad but if you're close enough to the Mac you can use BT mouse+keyboard connected directly to the computer and view the screen on the iPad.
What's the lag like?

rokey

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2011
NC
Not sure if this is the right forum for this but here goes!

I currently have a 13" rMBP, a headless mac mini (which I use as a media server), an iPad Pro, an iPad mini 4& iPhone 6s.

I recently sold my 27" iMac as it was never being used, and since picking up the iPad Pro (+ Smart keyboard & Pencil) I've found myself barely using the rMBP and even the iPad mini 4.

However I will occasionally need to use a mac for file & media download maintenance/conversion, etc., so what I thinking I could do is pass my 13" rMBP to my wife (she has an old 13" Air which I could sell), and use the mac mini as a computer for whenever I need it.

I currently use teamviewer to dial into the mac mini, but was wondering if there was a decent (minimal lag) app that I could use on the iPad pro to use it as the sole monitor for the mac mini, and use a Bluetooth mouse + keyboard. Also is there an app that would allow me to also use the smart keyboard on the iPad instead of a bluetooth keyboard, as I currently do with teamviewer?

The mac mini is stored in a cupboard with other HDD's, so I'd really prefer a wireless app (having looked into duet display which needs a tethered connection).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I use "Remoter VNC"
It's pretty simple and if I'm on the same network, it feels pretty good. If I am on LTE or a remote network, the speeds are a bit lagged, but remote access is possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.