Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srcaprogrammer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2020
I have an IMAP account on an iPad Pro (iPadOS 13.4.1). I can get email but when I send an email it stays in the Outbox. I go to Mail accounts in Settings --> Accounts and Passwords and change settings to Use SSL, port 25, MD5 Challenge-Response and keep getting error "The SMTP server my.server.net is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Outgoing Mail Server field" . However I have another IPAD with the same settings and it works.

The outgoing/incoming settings and username/password are correct because I am able to set up the IMAP account with an "Apple MC955LL/A iPad - Model A1395" Which is older.

Not sure if there are settings on the iPad Pro that I am not aware of that are preventing the connection?

Last edited:

srcaprogrammer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2020
I have an IMAP account on an iPad Pro (iPadOS 13.4.1). I can get email but when I send an email it stays in the Outbox. I go to Mail accounts in Settings --> Accounts and Passwords and change settings to Use SSL, port 25, MD5 Challenge-Response and keep getting error "The SMTP server my.server.net is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Outgoing Mail Server field" . However I have another IPAD with the same settings and it works.

The outgoing/incoming settings and username/password are correct because I am able to set up the IMAP account with an "Apple MC955LL/A iPad - Model A1395" Which is older.

Not sure if there are settings on the iPad Pro that I am not aware of that are preventing the connection?
Ok, I have narrowed the issue down to the celluar data plan on the IPAD...just trying to resolve that if any one has suggestion

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ok, I have narrowed the issue down to the celluar data plan on the IPAD...just trying to resolve that if any one has suggestion
Port 25 is not generally used for SSL encrypted SMTP. There should be another port you can use. Some internet providers will also block port 25 access due to spam problems.

srcaprogrammer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2020
The mail server I am using has Port SSL 465 enabled so I tried using that and still cant connect. My settings for outgoing mail server are;
Use SSL = On, Authentication = Ive tried password and MD5-Challenge-Response, Server port = 465 and 587

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The mail server I am using has Port SSL 465 enabled so I tried using that and still cant connect. My settings for outgoing mail server are;
Use SSL = On, Authentication = Ive tried password and MD5-Challenge-Response, Server port = 465 and 587
Nobody here can tell you if your settings are correct. Match your settings with whatever documentation your mail provider gives you, and compare them to what works on your other devices. The settings which work on WiFi are likely the only ones that will work, so if those don’t work on cellular then you have a bigger network problem that has nothing to do with your specific iPad.

srcaprogrammer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2020
Thanks. Its been resolved. I called tech support where we bought the mail software (we host the email on a server).
Apparently the newer apple devices send email request differently and our mail software blocked the IP address of the device connecting because it recognized it as a 'potential hack'. This is something they will have to do to update the software.....but for now we were able to get it to work.

srcaprogrammer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2020
Yes, however there was a setting in our email software that we were able to turn off so that the software won't recognize it as a 'potential hack". It sounds like the email software company is aware of it and will have to make changes to adjust to apples new email body request

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
If your email is using authentication and SSL, it seems odd that someone that it was a hack. That is the reason that ISPs use authentication.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.