Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Black screen ipad

• Attempt a repair

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Pay for new ipad pro $499

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Negotiate a deal on an ipad air

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wolf-Tau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
My ipad pro (10.5" from 2017 I think) seems to be dead. Bkack screen, no light. Nothing. Might be the battery because several chargers have been tried and nothing helped . Hard reset and hooked up to itunes also tried, nothing worked.

And there are not many options to get it repaired, so should I just try the Apple store next? Best Buy said they won't fix it but offered up a replacement for $499 since I don't have Apple Car . Its 2 yars old so it probably would have been expired anyways.

Any help would be great.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Try the Apple Store before doing anything else. The Genius Bar has great tools that can often resurrect what seem to be dead Apple devices. At least they can give you a diagnosis. Most of the time (around here anyway) they don't charge for the attempt, whether successful or not.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah, that’s one of the great things about the physical Apple store, free hardware issue diagnosis.

Reactions: RevTEG

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I think they will “replace” the battery on the iPad at Apple store for $99 and just give u new refurbished 10.5 iPad Pro.

That’s what they used to do with iPad battery replacement in the past. I’ve only don’t one iPad battery replacement iPad 2.

I paid $99 and they literally gave me new iPad 2 refurbished. But that was 2013 (my iPad 2 was 2 years old at that time) and out of warranty.

Wolf-Tau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
So, I went to the Apple store. Very disappointed. He really couldn't say what happened to it. He says it wasn't the battery. He said the ipad is working but the screen is just out. So I said "Why didn't iTunes detect it?" No answer. Well, sucks but it a very expensive 10.5 ipad pro with 256g or storage down the tubes.

So long story short, my ipad pro is dead. He did say he could give me a refurbished ipad pro and it woud be $449 but it would only have a 90 day warranty and I could not put Apple care on it. Seems kinda shady, so before I could say yes or no. He went on to say "Well, I'm not trying to up-sell you but for a little more you can get a NEW upgraded iPad. Of course it would be at regular price."

I guess I'm lucky, so far non of my other iPads went down and I'm writing this on my 09 iMac.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I think they will “replace” the battery on the iPad at Apple store for $99 and just give u new refurbished 10.5 iPad Pro.

That’s what they used to do with iPad battery replacement in the past. I’ve only don’t one iPad battery replacement iPad 2.

I paid $99 and they literally gave me new iPad 2 refurbished. But that was 2013 (my iPad 2 was 2 years old at that time) and out of warranty.
This is true but in this guy’s case he shouldn’t be paying for battery replacement after 2 years of service. If batteries are failing completely at 2 years, something else is up.

Wolf-Tau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
So, true. All my other ipads lasted years and I sold them to upgrade to newer version. It sucks but it was a lemon. Never dropped and if i took it anywhere. it was in its case within anothe case (Tomtoc case).

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
This is true but in this guy’s case he shouldn’t be paying for battery replacement after 2 years of service. If batteries are failing completely at 2 years, something else is up.
Yeah. But at $99. Just get it replaced. It’s a no brained to get a new refurbished iPad with no wear and tear.

Wolf-Tau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Get the battery replaced, still?

They couldn't tell what happened. But they said it wasn't the battery.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Get the battery replaced, still?

They couldn't tell what happened. But they said it wasn't the battery.
IF they will actually replace your iPad with a refurb as a way of "replacing" your battery then that would be a good deal. I would be surprised if they would do that after determining that the battery was fine.

If they'll actually replace the battery, then it would be foolish to spend $99 on the off-chance that it is indeed the battery after they told you it wasn't.

If they won't replace the whole iPad, then I recommend eating the cost and buying a new basic iPad. I do not find the iPad Pros to be of a build quality high enough to justify the prices Apple is charging. But that is only my opinion. That's what I did... I traded in my 12.9 Pro (got a decent price for it) that was starting to glitch out and got a 2018 iPad (back in March 2018).

Reactions: kazmac

Wolf-Tau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
They basically scared me away from that option when he said the refurb would only have 90 days warranty and no Apple Care could be added. And I do need the processing power. I'm doing Affinity photo and Lightroom mobile on it. I can see the Affinity slow down on more demanding tools. You are right. It's still an iPad but it's that processor that helps out. Plus I think the Pros have more RAM.

So I hope I made the right decision to not get the refurb and go with a new ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.