Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raybb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2024
I have a rather unique P2P network configuration between an ASUS GU603HM and an iPad Pro 3rd Gen (2018). I'm using usbmuxd to establish an IP over USB connection between the two. I've also tried the same configuration with Apple's own usbmux implementation on a Mac Mini 2018 instead of the ASUS, by enabling network connection sharing (over iPad USB) in Settings.

Although all configurations I've tried allow for higher bandwidth, I'm only getting around 2gbps speed from the laptop/Mac Mini to the iPad, and 3gbps in the reverse direction (from the iPad to the device, tested with iperf3). The iPad should have a USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 port capable of speeds up to 10gbps, and both laptop USB-C ports (Thunderbolt 4, 3.1 Gen 2) and the Mac Mini (Thunderbolt 3) ports are all capable of 10+ gbps. Both cables I've tried are also Thunderbolt.

Well, 2gbps != 10 gbps, and the iPad is the only constant in both systems, so I assume the iPad itself is the bottleneck. My question is this: has anyone been able to get effective speeds of above 3-4 Gbps on the 2018 iPad Pro's USB-C port (many forums and posts report speeds of less than this)? Or is some software/hardware in the iPad limiting bandwidth to only a third of what it could be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.