Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pepsi123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2023
I'm really tempted to buy the new Ipad Pro M4 11", but it's super expensive. I've been thinking about whether I should buy an Ipad Pro M2 instead. Can save approx. NOK 3,500. But, does anyone have an M4 and can say it's worth the money?
I'm not a heavy user, but like to know it's future-proof. Could get by just fine with a 10th gen also, but as I said face ID is a must.
Any good advice out there? 🤔

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
It is for me but I came from an M1, 12.9 inch to an M4 13”. The selling points for me were the OLED screen, the lighter weight and the fact that due to daily using it for 3 years, the battery life was not as great anymore

with the 11” the weight difference between M2 and M4 is negligible. But the screen is definitely a big step us as the M2 11” is normal LCD and not Mini LED.

Performance wise the M2 is going to be doing great with the current apps in the store and the iPadOS 18 changes coming. Definitely still overkill if you say you could get by with an A chip iPad10

I think it comes down to the screen. Do you feel you need the OLED, it’s going to have to be M4. If not M2 feels like a better choice.

maybe see if you can compare them in a store or something.

Reactions: Pepsi123

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Only you can determine if the value proposition is right for you. Please evaluate both devices with your own eyes. Personally, I like to get the best display available at the screen size I want which would make the decision easy here, but that’s just me.

Reactions: zachchen1996

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I'm looking into buying a new 120 Hz iPad Pro and I've been wondering the same. Comparing best offers on both the cheapest M2 and M4 iPad Pros with their respective Pencils there's at least a 300€ difference between them (where I'd be buying).

From my understanding of Apple's comparison site, you gain and lose the following with the newer M4 iPad Pro:

+ 128 GB extra storage
+ Newer M4 processor
+ OLED screen
+ squeezable pencil

- Ultra-wide lense
- one microphone
- option for nano-SIM on the Cellular model (eSIM only)

Realistically for me, none of the new features are really must-haves and since I write on it a lot (with a white/-ish background), I'm not even sure the OLED display will be as well-suited to my use case as the LCD model. I'd worry about having it on my table displaying a white background while notetaking a lot.

If you really value having an OLED display or are an artist that uses the Pencil to its limits, then I guess you can make a case for it. Rationally speaking I think the M2 iPad Pro is probably the better deal.

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
One thing not yet mentioned, the new M4 iPad Pros, the speakers are definitely a downgrade - not as loud, less bass, less immersive sounding overall.

Consider if this is important to you as well, I was shocked coming from my old launch day 2020 Pro how much ‘worse’ the new Pros speakers are - which undoubtedly has everything to do with the thinner chassis

Reactions: Pepsi123

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I'm really tempted to buy the new Ipad Pro M4 11", but it's super expensive. I've been thinking about whether I should buy an Ipad Pro M2 instead. Can save approx. NOK 3,500. But, does anyone have an M4 and can say it's worth the money?
I'm not a heavy user, but like to know it's future-proof. Could get by just fine with a 10th gen also, but as I said face ID is a must.
You will get a hundred opinions here! It is really up to YOU and how much money you want to spend! Both the M2 an the M4 do the same thing!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Ask any 3 people on MacRumors, you’ll get 4 opinions.

If you can get an Apple refurb (full warranty) M2 would be a good deal, IMO

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
As an M1 11” iPad Pro user, I’d say get the new M4, it is expensive, but it has 256GB Ram which I can tell you, after installing some of the latest games would be very welcome, and it has that stunning OLED screen which I’ve seen in person and it sold me as it’s a massive upgrade over LCD. But go and look at them yourself if you can as others have said, use your own eyes. It’s like with OLED TV’s some people will prefer one make over another despite both being OLED. Everyone’s different.

Personally I plan on upgrading to the new OLED iPad at some point.

One thing I will say is the M chip is amazing, my M1 is still fast and snappy, runs anything in the app store and will run all the new features in iPad OS 18. And the battery life is still pretty good and I use it everyday. I may get the 13” next time though but I’ll see when the time comes.

Last edited:

teohyc

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
There are just two main limitations for the M2 vs M4.

M4 has visibily better outdoor legibility/contrast due to the 1000 nits brightness. So if you use the tablet indoors often, M2 is good enough.

M4 supports Apple Pencil Pro with the extra features. And if you don't need those features, then M2 is good enough.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If the OP has the cash, go with the M4. I still have my M2, and as much as I love OLED, my M2 still is superb and fits my needs and uses.

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007

if media consumption is on your list of uses at all I would advise against any device without AV1 hardware decode. in this scenario that means splurge on the new m4 ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.