Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imdantaylor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2023
I was using my 11in iPad Pro M4 in direct sunlight today and noticed that the picture looked oddly sharpened. This was especially apparent when viewing photos in the photos app but other UI elements appeared to have overly crisp edges like most HDTVs as well. What’s more is I noticed that if you turn auto-brightness off in the settings, it’s impossible to set the brightness as high as the peak brightness when it’s turned on.

Below is a comparison image between a picture of this site while I’m outside, and when I’m inside.

Does anyone know why Apple might have made this decision? It looks weird.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 122

wronglyNeo

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2024
I have noticed the same thing. It does not just happen in bright ambient light, but also at lower brightness levels. However, with bright ambient light the effect becomes stronger. I haven’t really noticed it in photos, but it is really noticeable on small text, especially if this text is neither pure black nor pure white but some greyish colour. To me it looks like overshooting caused by a sharpness filter.

I did some experimentation and the effect cannot really be captured on a screenshot. If I display the screenshot at 100% on the ipad screen itself, I can still see the effect. But as soon as I zoom in or view the screenshot on another device, the effect is not visible. This indicates that it’s some sort of postprocessing that only happens right before the image is fed to the screen.

I tried to capture the effect by taking a photo of the physical screen using a camera (screen brightness was only medium):

DSC02002.jpeg

The effect is particularly noticeable in the small caption “brightness” as well as in the help text “Automatically adapt iPad…”.

I also have an iPad Air with an LCD screen here for comparison, there the effect is not visible at all, and the colours look even. I find this pretty disappointing, especially since this screen was advertised to deliver a very high fidelity. I thought about contacting Apple support about this, but I have not done this so far. If the assumption is correct that this is caused by some sort of image postprocessing then it could hopefully be fixed in a software update.

Do you know what would be the right address for reporting a problem like this to Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.