Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abook1943

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
My faceID 11-inch iPad Pro shut down while it was charging on my desk and when I went to turn it on it was unresponsive. I left it charging overnight and in the morning it still wouldn't turn on. I sent it in to Apple and they are trying to get me to pay for a bend in the frame before even diagnosing the problem. The bend wasn't even noticeable during my own use, especially when it was in a hard shell case. In the past I had some issues with my iPad shutting down unexpectedly and suspected a hardware issue but my apple representative did not follow up with my voicemails. I have not dropped my iPad and it sits on my desk all day.

I don't want to get involved with the bending threads, I am just curious if anyone else has any shutting down problems with the iPad or has experience working with Apple when they want to charge you $500 for a device you are convinced you haven't damaged. I am also worried that even if Apple repairs my iPad Pro free of charge or at my cost that this exact issue will happen again. What can I do?

I am a little frustrated as well because I really like this product. So much about this iPad Pro is perfect, but it needs to stay on.

Thank you for any ideas

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Nope, can't share that experience. I do know that they acknowledged some variations of bent iPads because of the cooling process after manufacturing, it's a first that I hear of Apple charging you that kind of money. Do you have Apple Care, when did you buy the iPad and did you ever do a hard reset?

Abook1943

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
I bought the iPad 7 months ago, I do not have Apple care and I have tried hard resets, but the iPad will no longer turn on.

Abook1943

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
They say it is $499 + Tax to repair the frame, but it is still not known if that is the cause of the issue.

The three options are to repair the frame ($499 + Tax), return my product or recycle the product.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Device is under warranty, I'm curious how they drew the conclusion that the bending is due to your own negligence such that you're on the hook for the repair of it.

Abook1943

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
I did not purchase apple care, but I bought it less than 1 year ago (around 7 months ago) brand new. So it is under the limited warranty.

Abook1943

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
After many attempts at discussing this with Apple they decided to drop the charge without a real reason. So, my iPad Pro should be fixed free of charge and back to me soon.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
After many attempts at discussing this with Apple they decided to drop the charge without a real reason. So, my iPad Pro should be fixed free of charge and back to me soon.
Good for you! I never heard of such a fee - especially under warranty - before. I had my iPad Air fixed (faulty GPU after three years, no Apple Care) and there I had to pay like 150,- and that was it. Hope everything will be fine!

Abook1943

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
I mailed my iPad Pro in after talking to apple support via the phone. I made the original purchase from Amazon which stocks Apple's products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.