Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheLion01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
The Netherlands
Hello everyone,

I decided to buy an iPad Pro in the very near future. Still doubting about 10,5" or 12,9". I definitely want an Apple Pencil with it but a keyboard also would be nice in some occasions. The obvious thing would be choosing for the Smart Keyboard Case but a Magic Keyboard along with a Smart Cover seems also to be a nice option because of the full size keys. I was wondering if you guys had also make this decision and for what option you went and why.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
i guess it comes down to whether you plan on tying with the keyboard on the go. If you plan to type at your desk and the the keyboard will stay there, the magic keyboard will probably be more satisfying. If you plan to travel with your iPad/keyboard I think the minimalism of the iPad/Smart Keyboard is hard to beat.

goomba478

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012
I have an existing 12.9" and I LOVE the Smart Keyboard Case personally. I bought a Magic Keyboard to use with it, and rarely do (I use it for my iPhone instead). I'm a bit bummed that they aren't making the silicone back case for the new 10.5" iPad as it was PERFECT, but I guess I can deal with a different back cover. The keyboard from Apple is great though and it makes for a perfect working angle for me personally. I do wish it was more adjustable for drawing (like my Surface Pro 3) but alas, nothing can be perfect.

Enjoy your new iPad! I think you're going to really like it a lot :).

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Personally I love the combination of my 12.9 Pro and my Magic Keyboard. I strongly prefer the feel of it as compared to the Smart Keyboard...having replaced my former MacBook wth my iPad, it just feels better to me. I do mostly use it at my desk but honestly, it's still a really small and compact keyboard for when I do travel with it. It fits nicely in my bag next to my iPad and since it has the physical switch in the back I don't need to worry about the keys getting pressed and activating things when I'm carrying it with me. I also like how it uses the same cable to recharge as my iPad.

I use a book case with my iPad that props it up nicely, and that gives me a nice place to put the keyboard when I'm using my iPad in my lap. I'm really happy with this combination.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.