Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blizzforte

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2020
I was just watching YouTube when all of a sudden the touchscreen became completely unresponsive. It's been like this for over 10 hours now. It still played the video I was watching, with sound, and it still can rotate, the on/off buttons and volume buttons still work, but the touch screen is doing nothing. I can't even turn the device off, because I need to swipe.

I don't know which iOS version I have, just that I haven't updated for a while. It's the 2019 iPad Pro.

Should I wait until the battery drains itself to restart the device or should I contact support?

• Sad
Reactions: bondr006

blizzforte

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2020
Why do you need to swipe to restart? If you press volume down then up quickly followed by pushing the power button, the menu cue to power off comes up but if you continue to hold the power button down, it will restart without using that menu cue.
Thank you, this solved the issue.

Reactions: VaruLV and sparksd

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
My ipad screen is also frequently unresponsive but in a minor way. Specifically when swiping left and right on the home screen between the main home screen apps and the second one. Anyone else have this occur? The only similar issue post I found at apple.com is from 2020 and doesn’t seem to have solutions. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251395238

Maybe it’ll be fixed in the next update. iPadOS 15.5 is what I have and seems to be the latest currently. It’s a minor issue but happens often enough to be frustrating.

Curious if others have experienced this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.