Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inowhateapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2023
iPad Pro wifi connection constantly lost
Received new ips prep 11 inch Dec.2022. Immediately noticed problems with getting or maintaining connection - often wifi would kick out in the middle of something. Make a long story short..did everything from dealing with internet provider (absolutely no issues with connectivity with our other Apple devices), Apple hel line (absolutely awful..told us to expect not all Apple devices would work the same 😵‍💫), followed all recommended fixes from Apple…nothing worked. Using my old Apple 2 and guess what? Everything works beautifully. Hate the face recognition on the pro..rarely works.
have sent my pro back to Apple, apparently they are sending me a new one. Anyone else experience this?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
My 11" Pro works perfectly all all 3 frequencies, 2.4, 5 and 6 GHz.

What router are you using? How are your SSIDs setup - combined or separate ones for each frequency?

photocat2005

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
United States
Yes. Yes. Yes. I feel your pain. My ipad pro drops wifi constantly. I'm on IOS 16.4.1

I had a 2017 10.5 ipad pro and this was a problem too but not too bad. My husband with his own 2017 10.5 ipad pro - had no problems (obviously same wifi).

I upgraded to the most recent ipad pro 11" a few months ago and my hubby got the 2021 12.9" ipad pro around the same time. At times, the wifi drops so much on mine it is often unusable. His is completely fine - no problem - never drops the wifi. When I hotspot mine with my iphone, no problem at all. (Distance from router isn't an issue as I am within arm's reach of the router most of the time).

We tried all of the "fixes" too - nothing helped. Some days mine will work flawlessly but when it doesn't - I use the hotspot method because it is so frustrating. The best we can figure out is I have a couple of games on my ipad that he doesn't have on his - and this was true of our previous ipads too (I noticed it tends to happen most often when I flip to portrait mode which is only when I play the games). And no my games are not with shared players or anything like that - just simple, mind-numbing bubble pop games, that is it.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
WiFi issues are notoriously difficult to diagnose since things outside your control keep changing. Are there other WiFi networks around you? What frequency are you using? What channel are you using? Are you connecting via 2.4, 5 or 6 Ghz? etc. If you want to dive into this swamp WiFi Explorer can help.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Have you tried connecting to a wholly different network to see if the problem is isolated to the one network? That would be an extremely useful test. As for face recognition, I haven't had any problems on any of my devices with it.

Inowhateapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2023
Thank you for all the valuable feedback. I sent in my Pro for repairs, they sent me a new pro. I set it up today and experienced the same problem immediately. I spent a couple of hours in communication with Apple, ending up with a Senior Advisor (thank God because all the others do is take you through the same trouble-shooting list that I have memorized and done many, many times). So, I’m going to get a list of questions for our internet provider (from Apple) and I’m to use a hot spot next time I’m kicked off wifi and record what happens. Here’s the thing…why the heck do I have to stand on my head to get this Pro working?. My home internet provider has been providing excellent service for years and we have never had one minute of connectivity issues with our 2 other iPads. Suddenly Apple is telling me their engineers can talk to our provider to try and troubleshoot…what the H**l??? I feel I need an engineering degree to try and get this Pro to stay connected. Guess what, I think this is Apple’s problem…no one should buy an iPad that turns into a full-time job.

Reactions: dsi76

karlcrazyman

Suspended
Apr 21, 2023
Frisco, TX
It sounds like you're experiencing issues with maintaining a wifi connection on your new iPad Pro 11 inch, despite not having any issues with connectivity on other Apple devices. You've tried various troubleshooting steps, including contacting your internet provider and Apple support, but nothing has resolved the issue. Additionally, you're not happy with the Face ID feature on the new device.

Since you've sent your iPad Pro back to Apple and they are sending you a new one, it's possible that there was a hardware issue with your original device that was causing the wifi connectivity problems. It's not uncommon for electronic devices to have defects or malfunctions, even when they are brand new.

It's worth noting that while Face ID may not work perfectly in every situation, it is generally considered to be a secure and convenient way to unlock your device. If you're still not happy with the feature, you could try using a passcode instead.

In terms of other users experiencing wifi connectivity issues with the iPad Pro, it's difficult to say without more information. However, if you continue to experience problems with your replacement device, you may want to consider reaching out to Apple support again or seeking assistance from an authorized repair center.

Inowhateapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2023
Hi, I’ve now had my new replacement iPad Pro for 24 hours; experiencing the same issues. I’ve spent a couple of hours with a Senior Apple person and we attempted to change our wifi settings to the recommendations from Apple with no luck which means a couple of hours more talking to our provider.
What happens when I travel with my iPad? Am I going to experience connectivity issues every time I change wifi providers? Someone on this thread mentioned their wifi only works when connected to hotspot. That works for me as well but I didn’t pay $1100 to have a glitchy product that only connects to wifi using a hotspot.
I will continue to contact Apple every day… I don’t want another Pro, an Air perhaps. I really have lost faith in Apple products, they must know there is an issue here but there is no acknowledgment of it.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Hi, I’ve now had my new replacement iPad Pro for 24 hours; experiencing the same issues. I’ve spent a couple of hours with a Senior Apple person and we attempted to change our wifi settings to the recommendations from Apple with no luck which means a couple of hours more talking to our provider.
What happens when I travel with my iPad? Am I going to experience connectivity issues every time I change wifi providers? Someone on this thread mentioned their wifi only works when connected to hotspot. That works for me as well but I didn’t pay $1100 to have a glitchy product that only connects to wifi using a hotspot.
I will continue to contact Apple every day… I don’t want another Pro, an Air perhaps. I really have lost faith in Apple products, they must know there is an issue here but there is no acknowledgment of it.

I've never had WiFi issues anywhere with the many iPads I've owned - your problem is likely isolated to the one network.

photocat2005

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
United States
I've never had WiFi issues anywhere with the many iPads I've owned - your problem is likely isolated to the one network.
I know you were replying to the OP but it doesn't make sense that I have had now two ipads in a row with this issue while my husband, on the same network and on his ipad at the same time as me, has never had the issue at all on any of his ipads (he has two). Not even once! We can't figure it out either but it feels like something either Apple related or App related possibly.

Ironically after I replied to this thread, my ipad has worked flawlessly which makes it even more difficult to diagnose as there seems to be no rhyme or reason when it will be great and when it won't stay connected.

Inowhateapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2023
I know you were replying to the OP but it doesn't make sense that I have had now two ipads in a row with this issue while my husband, on the same network and on his ipad at the same time as me, has never had the issue at all on any of his ipads (he has two). Not even once! We can't figure it out either but it feels like something either Apple related or App related possibly.

Ironically after I replied to this thread, my ipad has worked flawlessly which makes it even more difficult to diagnose as there seems to be no rhyme or reason when it will be great and when it won't stay connected.
It’s bizarre, but after a couple of months of issues..receiving a new iPad Pro and promptly experiencing the same issues, the iPad has suddenly started working properly….I just don’t understand it 😵‍💫. I made no changes to my wifi settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.