Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you excited?

• yes (I want FaceID)

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • No (KEEP THE HOME BUTTON)

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
iOS 12 for iPad with its new gestures really have me wanting a new iPad with no home button and FaceID. I love the new home gesture but can't get over having to place my finger on the slow touchID button on my iPad Air 2. Is anyone else excited for a bezel-less iPad Pro?!

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...pecify-why-and-what-is-your-use-case.2122168/

General consensus is bezel reduction is a desirable thing . . . Some don’t want complete reduction which might make carrying the tablets more difficult (esp. one handed) . . And others (myself included) don’t want FaceID in a tablet if it means having to pick it up and orient it towards your face just to unlock it. Then again I don’t have an iPad with older TouchID. On my 2nd gen IPP TouchID is plenty fast enough and much more convenient than FaceID will be until FaceID supports detecting faces in any and all angles from the device within a much larger cone of vision.

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...pecify-why-and-what-is-your-use-case.2122168/

General consensus is bezel reduction is a desirable thing . . . Some don’t want complete reduction which might make carrying the tablets more difficult (esp. one handed) . . And others (myself included) don’t want FaceID in a tablet if it means having to pick it up and orient it towards your face just to unlock it. Then again I don’t have an iPad with older TouchID. On my 2nd gen IPP TouchID is plenty fast enough and much more convenient than FaceID will be until FaceID supports detecting faces in any and all angles from the device within a much larger cone of vision.
I would actually be completely fine if FaceID only worked in landscape mode because I cannot remember the last time I used my iPad in portrait orientation. I also don't want the bezels too small either. If the bezel was the size of the 10.5's side bezel that would be perfect Imo.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I really need FaceID in portrait mode, use my iPad like this all the time.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
In a way yes, while I love Face ID on my iPhone X and would love it on the iPad Pro along with the iOS 12 gestures, I want more from Apple for the iPad Pro I want a proper laptop replacement, give me a better Smart Keyboard the Surface has a kickstand that can be used at different angles.

I want to see more from Apple in ways of competing with the Surface, while I would love a redesign and Face ID they are just cosmetics and a great feature don’t get me wrong BUT I want more! Apple really need to work making the iPad Pro a real laptop replacement.

The Surface Pro for example can do a lot more than the iPad Pro can and that is a shame as I love Apple products but if they can’t or won’t make a real laptop replacement like Microsoft have I may have to jump ship and get a device I never thought I would even think about getting, ie the Surface Pro.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I actually never use mine in vertical orientation. In fact, I have rotation lock on so it stays in landscape.

Hey, to each their own. Apple introduced the iPad and specifically mentioned that screen orientation doesn’t really matter on this device as both orientations work well out of the box - they just need to make sure they take care of both user groups equally with this update (which I don’t think will present much of an issue).

Reactions: frosty18

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
Face ID in landscape mode is essential. I would be floored if Face ID doesn't come in landscape mode.

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Hey, to each their own. Apple introduced the iPad and specifically mentioned that screen orientation doesn’t really matter on this device as both orientations work well out of the box - they just need to make sure they take care of both user groups equally with this update (which I don’t think will present much of an issue).
It will be interesting to see where they place the FaceID cameras. Either on the “top” or the “side”

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Have their been rumors about it being on the side? Never really considered that option.
I haven’t heard that rumor. But I can picture it. I feel as if most people use the iPad that way and it would just be awkward to have the camera on the side all the time
[doublepost=1537469662][/doublepost]
Face ID in landscape mode is essential. I would be floored if Face ID doesn't come in landscape mode.
I would NOT buy it if it doesn’t work in landscape either! It’s essential

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I have never owned a mini...but lately have thought it would be nice. But no way I am purchasing a Mini 4 in 2018.
Women, children, some school applications. Projects here or there. A lot of uses.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I would actually be completely fine if FaceID only worked in landscape mode because I cannot remember the last time I used my iPad in portrait orientation. I also don't want the bezels too small either. If the bezel was the size of the 10.5's side bezel that would be perfect Imo.

For me orientation goes beyond just portrait and landscape. As I've noted before in other discussions about FaceID, one use case for iPads with Apple Pencil support is having the iPad flat on a table for drawing/note taking work. It's not uncommon in that use case that the orientation of the tablet on the table relative to the user is angled so that drawing/writing is comfortable to them. In that scenario, if the device locks while the user pauses in their work for whatever reason then there will be some form of inconvenience when FaceID replaces TouchID unless FaceID can detect the user's face from that position (rotated slightly and potentially greater than 45 degrees off perpendicular from the projector/camera array). As it stands today with TouchID in this scenario it makes absolutely no difference what rotation the iPad is in, one can get the fingerprint scanner to work and unlock the iPad without rotating it or picking it up off of the table.

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
I haven’t heard that rumor. But I can picture it. I feel as if most people use the iPad that way and it would just be awkward to have the camera on the side all the time

Exactly - I use my iPad Pro in landscape mode probably 95% of the time. Use the ASK a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.