Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mistic007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
I tried a number of sketch apps from the store like:
- Photoshop Sketch
- Notes app
- Concept
- Paper
and some others

But what I'm missing in almost all of them is an infinite canvas to draw on. As a UX designer I need to sketch a lot in order to transfer ideas to something tangible during meetings ect. But having fixed canvas sizes like in Paper, Notes or Photoshop Sketch really limits the usability of the iPad pro. I need to be able to keep sketching in the same file without the constraints of a canvas size.

The concepts app comes close, but it's way to bloated with functionality and is quite expensive.

All I need is a good pen tool, an infinite canvas, and png export (svg would be amazing). That's it.

But I can't seem to find that one app that pulls this off. Most apps unfortunately are really focussed on illustration work like digital painting or photo retouching on a fixed canvas size.

So any of you have found that perfect app I'm searching for? That would be great.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I tried a number of sketch apps from the store like:
- Photoshop Sketch
- Notes app
- Concept
- Paper
and some others

But what I'm missing in almost all of them is an infinite canvas to draw on. As a UX designer I need to sketch a lot in order to transfer ideas to something tangible during meetings ect. But having fixed canvas sizes like in Paper, Notes or Photoshop Sketch really limits the usability of the iPad pro. I need to be able to keep sketching in the same file without the constraints of a canvas size.

The concepts app comes close, but it's way to bloated with functionality and is quite expensive.

All I need is a good pen tool, an infinite canvas, and png export (svg would be amazing). That's it.

But I can't seem to find that one app that pulls this off. Most apps unfortunately are really focussed on illustration work like digital painting or photo retouching on a fixed canvas size.

So any of you have found that perfect app I'm searching for? That would be great.

While Procreate is an illustration app, perhaps the information from their FAQ page would help:
What's the biggest canvas I can make?

There are actually two limits on canvas sizes in Procreate, both imposed by the hardware of the iPad model you're using. The limit on total canvas size can be found by multiplying the two dimensions of any of the below maximum sizes. For example, the 12.9” and 10.5” iPad Pros can create a canvas up to 67,108,864 pixels total - around 67 megapixels.

The other limit is on any single dimension - width or height. Older iPads (up to the iPad Air 1 and iPad mini 3) can create canvases up to 4,096 pixels in either direction. The iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 4 can create canvases up to 8,192 pixels in either direction, and for the iPad Pro models this limit is increased to 16,384 pixels. You can create a canvas of any size and ratio in Procreate as long as it doesn't exceed either of these limits for your device. For example, on a 12.9” and 10.5” iPad Pros, you can make any canvas provided neither side is longer than 16,384 pixels, and the total size of the canvas doesn't exceed 67 megapixels.

Here are the maximum canvas sizes by device:

• iPad Pro 12.9” and 10.5” - 16,384 x 4,096, or 8,192 x 8,192
  • iPad Pro 9.7” - 8,192 x 4,096, or 16,384 x 2,048
  • iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4 - 8,192 x 4,096
  • iPad Air 1, iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2 - 4,096 x 4,096
  • iPad 2, iPad mini 1 - 4,096 x 2,616
https://procreate.art/faq/

BTW, you can import pngs into Procreate.

Perhaps someone else can respond about an app that is more geared toward UX designers?

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I'm not sure but it sounds like something you could do in Notability App. You can check it out in the store on the iPad pro. I think Best Buy or Apple Store will have this app on the iPad.

http://gingerlabs.com

slyv

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Another UX/UI designer here. I would say give Concepts another go, I agree it is a little bloated and the interface is not great but that infinite canvas is its killer feature. Try and ignore all the bells and whistles.

Reactions: neutrino23
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.