Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Considering we have the iPhone SE and the Apple Watch SE already, do you think it would be a good thing if Apple named their 9th gen iPad “iPad SE” ? - as rumoured all over the place the 9th gen is likely to be in the body of the iPad Air 3. Slap in an A14 and there you have it! I think continuity would be a good thing across the 3 devices. $349/£349. What you do you think?

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
No.

Why? The line is fine as is. If anything I think the iPad Mini is the odd man out—an 8in. iPad thats way overpriced and hardly anyone looks at given the mainstream iPad (currently 10.2in.) is a much better value. The Mini should be priced a lot less than what it is now.

If they made the 10.2 more like the Air then the Air wouldn’t really be needed, but Apple presently wants something priced between the 128GB 10.2 and the 11in. iPad Pro.

Joplin

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
Given the rumors about the 9th gen iPad using the Air 3 chassis, I think the interesting question is what chip they will give the device.

My bet would be the A12, but then it would basically be identical to the Air 3, which seems a little odd.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
I was thinking about similar lines when rumors mounted about this years 12.9 Pro, I thought they could have renamed it Pro Max due to largeish upgrades. Time will tell, perhaps one day they will have Pro Mini, Pro, Pro Max tablets?

As for regular iPad and SE moniker, not so sure, I mean, they could, if they transition vanilla iPad to Air4/Pro design without bezels and with integrated touch ID like in Air4. Then the ”oldschool” design with bezels and touch ID at the front could be kept as SE and sold for 249$ :D

Last edited:
Reactions: snipr125

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Considering we have the iPhone SE and the Apple Watch SE already, do you think it would be a good thing if Apple named their 9th gen iPad “iPad SE” ? - as rumoured all over the place the 9th gen is likely to be in the body of the iPad Air 3. Slap in an A14 and there you have it! I think continuity would be a good thing across the 3 devices. $349/£349. What you do you think?
The budget iPad is the iPad SE.

Reactions: VaruLV

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
The budget iPad is the iPad SE.
Except it isn’t. It would have an A13 if it did - one generation being the current gen chips (iPhone SE: A13, Apple Watch: S5). Hopefully the rumours of the iPad Air 3 chassis with A13 are true. That would warrant the SE moniker.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Given the rumors about the 9th gen iPad using the Air 3 chassis, I think the interesting question is what chip they will give the device.

My bet would be the A12, but then it would basically be identical to the Air 3, which seems a little odd.
A13 would certainly given it the longevity of an SE device.
What some members here don’t see is that I meant going forward. Meaning Apple sells it as ‘iPad SE’. iPad prices have been rising this past few years.
£349/$349 wouldn’t be a huge jump but the old iPad Air 3 chassis, A13 chip would justify the price increase to consumers. Leaving the non laminated screen in the past would also be a good thing. You could basically buy 3 x SE devices for £1000. 8th iPad just doesn’t tick enough boxes to be an SE device.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Except it isn’t. It would have an A13 if it did - one generation being the current gen chips (iPhone SE: A13, Apple Watch: S5).
That is, IMO, getting too bogged down in the details. The spirit of the SE is having quality hardware in an older design at the cheapest price point of the product line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.