Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinkyyy šŸ’œšŸŽ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
Iā€™m onto my 2nd college year and I need an iPad suggestion for college stuff.

I only need it for simple stuff like taking notes, watching videos, editing pdfs.. no more than this. So Iā€™d like a device that is not so overpowered and with a reasonable price.

Iā€™ve never had an iPad before, and I havenā€™t been caught up with the new ones that came out since Iā€™ve been a little busy with lifeā€¦ so Iā€™d appreciate some help with suggestions šŸ™šŸ»

Aka757

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
The latest iPad from ($349) will do fine. You could also get the previous gen iPad on sale as well.

To add to this, this iPad is currently $50 off on Amazon:

I also saw the Magic Keyboard Folio accessory available for $99 somewhere but canā€™t find it now. Itā€™s a bit pricey, but at $99 itā€™s 50% off, and a great keyboard accessory if you are planning to type a decent amount.

Undo

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Florida
Not sure if this is reasonably priced for you, but I can recommend the iPad Air 13ā€ ($799) if you will be using the device on your lap and you touch type. Typing is so much faster for note-taking than an Apple Pencil. The on screen keyboard on the 13ā€ is the right size for touch typing. Plus, a larger-sized iPad is less inclined to fall between your legs if it sits on your lap.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Typing is so much faster for note-taking than an Apple Pencil.
That depends on the topic of the study. "Note taking" may also include drawings and arrows between elements to illustrate relationships which often is very usable in STEM topics. Such annotations directly on pdf slides very slow using a keyboard and trackpad.

I can also recommend the larger iPads. My daughter and wife bought each an 11 inch iPad Pro (against my recommendation). Both found it too small when studying and bought an 12.9 inch later. The smaller iPad is however very useful in class for note taking. It also highly depends on the reading material. If you use physical books, a smaller iPad might be sufficient. If you intend to use digital books, you may appreciate the larger iPad which is much better to use in split view.

Please also analyse you needs for report writing and other software that might not exist on iPad. If you already have a laptop, a smaller iPad would be OK as it would not double as a "report writer".

Undo

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Florida
That depends on the topic of the study. "Note taking" may also include drawings and arrows between elements to illustrate relationships which often is very usable in STEM topics. Such annotations directly on pdf slides very slow using a keyboard and trackpad.
Good points. I hadnā€™t thought about drawing or marking up PDFs. Thank you for being part of my brain! :)

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

I only need it for simple stuff like taking notes, watching videos, editing pdfs.. no more than this. So Iā€™d like a device that is not so overpowered and with a reasonable price.

Iā€™ve never had an iPad before, and I havenā€™t been caught up with the new ones that came out since Iā€™ve been a little busy with lifeā€¦ so Iā€™d appreciate some help with suggestions šŸ™šŸ»

When it comes to note-taking, I've found that the larger 12.9/13-inch iPads are the best. I've found them to be better than any smaller iPad, any computer (whether Mac or PC), any iPod touch or iPhone or Android device; hell, better than pen and paper. And, very ironically, iPadOS's piss-poor multitasking capabilities are actually a boon in this context (as it helps to reduce natural distractions by keeping you in whichever notetaking app you prefer). That said, a keyboard is a must and my recommendation for specifically a 12.9/13-inch iPad is predicated on the fact that I have no problem typing comfortably on the keyboards made for those (but I do often have difficulty typing on the keyboards that have been made for 9.7-11.1-inch iPads). If you have no problem typing on the keyboards that go with the smaller iPads, then by all means, those are great too! Assuming you're like me in that regard, I might just get a "13-inch" iPad Air and a Smart Keyboard Folio (you absolutely do not need the full Magic Keyboard; and the smaller physical footprint of the iPad Air using the Smart Keyboard folio will help with those awkward half-tables that lecture halls have.

Not sure if this is reasonably priced for you, but I can recommend the iPad Air 13ā€ ($799) if you will be using the device on your lap and you touch type. Typing is so much faster for note-taking than an Apple Pencil. The on screen keyboard on the 13ā€ is the right size for touch typing. Plus, a larger-sized iPad is less inclined to fall between your legs if it sits on your lap.

Honestly, I think this is a solid recommendation.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
That entirely depends on how the iPad is being used and for Pinkyyy listed needs, a keyboard is not very useful in my opinion. I use my work iPad exactly for the same tasks that Pinkyyy listed and I never feel the need for a keyboard.
It's subjective, sure. Probably more ergonomic to have one as otherwise, you're using an iPad flat and looking down at it when what you probably want to be doing is still facing the lecturer whose notes you're taking.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
One clear advantage of an iPad here is that it has a back facing camera. So depending on what the rules are in the class room, one can take a quick picture of the board discreetly vs bring out a camera which is more obvious, especially when a professor is against that. This is assuming the iPad has a some sort of keyboard case attached to it.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

Whatever you choose, make sure you take advantage of the back to school deals Apple is offering right now

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012

Get the iPad Air. Refurbished if possible. Plus Apple Pencil (or 3rd party).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.