Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asnoble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2016
Alabama
I have an iPad version 9.3.1. I just installed my companies VPN client which shows up under Settings with an On/Off switch. I notice when on 4G or Wifi after about 5 minutes the iPad will turn the screen off which is great, but when I wake it up and put my password back in, the VPN on the upper right hand corner is gone and I have to start the VPN again. Anyway around this? What can be done to keep that VPN connection alive?

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
For my VPN if I go into Settings>General>VPN and tap the ⓘ bubble I can enable "connect on demand" and the VPN will remain connected - but you then can't turn it off unless you disable this again.

asnoble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2016
Alabama
For my VPN if I go into Settings>General>VPN and tap the ⓘ bubble I can enable "connect on demand" and the VPN will remain connected - but you then can't turn it off unless you disable this again.

When I click on the ⓘ all I have is: Type - Server - Account... Your saying you have another option?

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
When I click on the ⓘ all I have is: Type - Server - Account... Your saying you have another option?

Indeed. Under those options I can enable connect on demand. But depending on the VPN set up of your employer you may have disabled it. I know where I work we disabled it because we were getting people's Netflix and the like tunnelled which was resulting in unnecessary excess traffic.

asnoble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2016
Alabama
So, there is no other way to make the VPN stay connected until you turn that VPU switch to off? Maybe at least make a time limit where it can stay connected?

asnoble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2016
Alabama
Do you know where the provider would turn that option on at? We are looking for it in the Admin side

adilmalick

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2016
Vancouver, Canada
Yes usually people connect on demand from Settings>General with this activity you might be keep on the vpn, i used here might be because i didn't do this activity or i had not faced such an issue with my ipad. However for the simple solution just install the latest Purevpn aap, it keep connect with your ipad even in sleeping mood. However there are several other best vpn for ipad that keep your all ipad credential and soft copies safe and secure.

dropme

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2017
"VPN-on-Demand" is the only option to keep VPN "always on" for any iOS (both iPhones and iPads).

However, "VPN-on-Demand" only works with one VPN protocol - IKEv2.

Your VPN providers should offer IKEv2, and if they offer something else like OpenVPN - you won't get this "always on" option.

Also, IKEv2 is the only protocol that seamlessly continues to work when you switch from cellular network to wi-fi. Other VPN protocols will drop the VPN connection or endlessly will try to reconnect to the old network leaving you without internet.

parisv

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2008
"VPN-on-Demand" is the only option to keep VPN "always on" for any iOS (both iPhones and iPads).

Your VPN providers should offer IKEv2, and if they offer something else like OpenVPN - you won't get this "always on" option.

Also, IKEv2 is the only protocol that seamlessly continues to work when you switch from cellular network to wi-fi. Other VPN protocols will drop the VPN connection or endlessly will try to reconnect to the old network leaving you without internet.

i've just added a dummy IKEv2 account but don't see this option?

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
I think you have to turn it off to keep the vpn always on??

wdembi

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
I have an iPad version 9.3.1. I just installed my companies VPN client which shows up under Settings with an On/Off switch. I notice when on 4G or Wifi after about 5 minutes the iPad will turn the screen off which is great, but when I wake it up and put my password back in, the VPN on the upper right hand corner is gone and I have to start the VPN again. Anyway around this? What can be done to keep that VPN connection alive?

I know I'm late to the party but on my side of things there was a setting in our Fortigate firewall's vpn config for VPN Idle Timeout. I changed the settings from 300 seconds (coincidentally the same amount as your timeout) to never.

This resolved the issue for me. Good luck!

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
I tried doing the same with OpenVPN app on my iPhone. Selected Option "None" but it still disconnects. Don't know whats wrong.

wdembi

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
I tried doing the same with OpenVPN app on my iPhone. Selected Option "None" but it still disconnects. Don't know whats wrong.

To clarify, I made this change on the firewall itself where the VPN app is connecting to. Not on the VPN app itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.