Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is iPadOS 16 laggy with the iPad 6 generation?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

ouruniverse06131986

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2021
Long story short I want to buy the iPad 6 generation but I want to know if iPadOS 16.1.1 I think it’s the latest version.

Is the iPad laggy with iPadOS 16?

I know I won’t get all the things compare to the new iPad but I don’t really care about that. I care more that it’s not going to be laggy. Thanks in advance.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Depends on your usage and tolerance.

Mind, I don’t like using the iPad 6th gen on iPadOS 15 to begin with.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The 2GB of RAM might make tabs reload faster than on its original version, but it should work well. iOS updates don’t massively affect performance like they used to. However, it’s difficult - if not impossible - to say without knowing what you expect. Don’t know how’s the keyboard response as well. But yeah, it’s very difficult to say whether you’ll be happy because that’s very personal.

I don’t mind my tabs reloading, but some people find that important. I find battery life important, some people don’t. It’s too individually tailored for me to offer any conclusion. That said, laggy? Like 32-bit devices used to be? Absolutely not, it should be perfectly fine in that regard.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The 2GB of RAM might make tabs reload faster than on its original version, but it should work well. iOS updates don’t massively affect performance like they used to. However, it’s difficult - if not impossible - to say without knowing what you expect. Don’t know how’s the keyboard response as well. But yeah, it’s very difficult to say whether you’ll be happy because that’s very personal.

I don’t mind my tabs reloading, but some people find that important. I find battery life important, some people don’t. It’s too individually tailored for me to offer any conclusion. That said, laggy? Like 32-bit devices used to be? Absolutely not, it should be perfectly fine in that regard.

I’ve had 2GB RAM iPads (even those with A9X and A10) freeze on me while using Safari on iPadOS 15+. I reckon at this point in time, 2GB is barely enough even for the minimal multitasking allowed on iOS.

Not as laggy as the Air 2 but it does remind of my old Windows PCs before I made the switch to SSD.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’ve had 2GB RAM iPads (even those with A9X and A10) freeze on me while using Safari on iPadOS 15+. I reckon at this point in time, 2GB is barely enough even for the minimal multitasking allowed on iOS.

Not as laggy as the Air 2 but it does remind of my old Windows PCs before I made the switch to SSD.
Wow. I’d like to thank you for all of the info, it is difficult to obtain information from older devices. People don’t discuss them much anymore, and if I were to post a thread, responses are almost always extremely minimal. You’ve given me a lot of cool info, thank you.

That said, I am surprised. Safari freezing? I thought that was a 32-bit thing by now. I didn’t even know the Air 2 suffered from that on iPadOS 15 as well. I have access to two A9X and A10 iPads (The iPad 6th Gen is a family member’s, not mine. You know I have the 9.7-inch iPad Pro), and they both work really well on iOS 12. I didn’t notice tab reloads… until I got the iPad Air 5. I have it on iPadOS 15 and this device is so utterly perfect! That said, I can’t recall how it performed on iOS 9 in that regard. I’ve stated before that it isn’t something I pay attention to, so I don’t really remember. I can say, however, that Safari performance is good. It has never frozen on me or had any issues, barring reloads.

Two very important and noticeable issues: keyboard lag (I don’t update anything, ever, so I am NOT used to that. I emphasize the not because I’ve never had to deal with that in my 12-year history of using iOS devices). It bothers me. A lot. It is not abhorrent, but very noticeable to me, because I expect it not to be there. I can type as fast as possible on my Air 5 and it never lags. I expect top-notch performance and battery life. I would’ve been fine with the 9.7-inch iPad Pro if it were perfect (which it was… on iOS 9), but I wanted to upgrade as soon as I was forced out of it. Apart from that, it is quite perfect. I’ve tried some games and they work flawlessly, there is no difference there compared to iOS 9. Which is huge for me. I truly expected it to be unusable, perhaps used to seeing 32-bit devices’ destruction from iOS updates. I thought “I am being forced to updated it through three major updates? Three?! Say goodbye to the iPad”. I can happily say that it wasn’t the case.

And the other issue is battery life, like I’ve stated. A 30-40% drop, immediate and irrecoverable. It isn’t absolutely abhorrent (around 10 hours), but it is very poor for my expectations.

Like you said, I might be underestimating the impact of 2GB of RAM on iPadOS 15. Luckily both of the iPads I have access to with that spec are on iOS 12. It is a shame that Apple gave the 9.7-inch iPad Pro 2GB of RAM, the best iPad with the original design language could’ve been even better if it hadn’t been shorthanded by being the only iPad Pro to have less than 4GB.

And a final message to OP: Hopefully this conversation has showed you that performance expectations vary person to person. The best option would be for you to try it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Wow. I’d like to thank you for all of the info, it is difficult to obtain information from older devices. People don’t discuss them much anymore, and if I were to post a thread, responses are almost always extremely minimal. You’ve given me a lot of cool info, thank you.

That said, I am surprised. Safari freezing? I thought that was a 32-bit thing by now. I didn’t even know the Air 2 suffered from that on iPadOS 15 as well. I have access to two A9X and A10 iPads (The iPad 6th Gen is a family member’s, not mine. You know I have the 9.7-inch iPad Pro), and they both work really well on iOS 12. I didn’t notice tab reloads… until I got the iPad Air 5. I have it on iPadOS 15 and this device is so utterly perfect! That said, I can’t recall how it performed on iOS 9 in that regard. I’ve stated before that it isn’t something I pay attention to, so I don’t really remember. I can say, however, that Safari performance is good. It has never frozen on me or had any issues, barring reloads.

Two very important and noticeable issues: keyboard lag (I don’t update anything, ever, so I am NOT used to that. I emphasize the not because I’ve never had to deal with that in my 12-year history of using iOS devices). It bothers me. A lot. It is not abhorrent, but very noticeable to me, because I expect it not to be there. I can type as fast as possible on my Air 5 and it never lags. I expect top-notch performance and battery life. I would’ve been fine with the 9.7-inch iPad Pro if it were perfect (which it was… on iOS 9), but I wanted to upgrade as soon as I was forced out of it. Apart from that, it is quite perfect. I’ve tried some games and they work flawlessly, there is no difference there compared to iOS 9. Which is huge for me. I truly expected it to be unusable, perhaps used to seeing 32-bit devices’ destruction from iOS updates. I thought “I am being forced to updated it through three major updates? Three?! Say goodbye to the iPad”. I can happily say that it wasn’t the case.

And the other issue is battery life, like I’ve stated. A 30-40% drop, immediate and irrecoverable. It isn’t absolutely abhorrent (around 10 hours), but it is very poor for my expectations.

Like you said, I might be underestimating the impact of 2GB of RAM on iPadOS 15. Luckily both of the iPads I have access to with that spec are on iOS 12. It is a shame that Apple gave the 9.7-inch iPad Pro 2GB of RAM, the best iPad with the original design language could’ve been even better if it hadn’t been shorthanded by being the only iPad Pro to have less than 4GB.

I wish I had kept my Pro 9.7 on iOS 12. That’s the last version that it runs well on from my experience given my usage patterns (typically 20+ tabs open in Safari at any given time).

The 3-4GB RAM iPads already reload a lot on iPadOS 15+. 2GB RAM is still fine for ebook reading, music and video streaming via apps. Handling bloated websites full of Javascript? It can get pretty slow. Honestly, I actually notice quite a bit of difference between A10X/4GB and M1/16GB when I’m batch deleting or labeling stuff on desktop Gmail. Reddit with the annoying infinite scroll? That usually crashes Safari on 2GB after a few “pages”.

Mind, for what it’s worth, my mom just lets her Pro 9.7 auto-update and she doesn’t have any complaints about performance. Of course, when *I* use it because she needs me to do something for her on her iPad, I often get annoyed by its performance. 😑

And a final message to OP: Hopefully this conversation has showed you that performance expectations vary person to person. The best option would be for you to try it.

Caveat there, there’s usually no going back once you upgrade.

At least 15 is still being signed for now.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I wish I had kept my Pro 9.7 on iOS 12. That’s the last version that it runs well on from my experience given my usage patterns (typically 20+ tabs open in Safari at any given time).

The 3-4GB RAM iPads already reload a lot on iPadOS 15+. 2GB RAM is still fine for ebook reading, music and video streaming via apps. Handling bloated websites full of Javascript? It can get pretty slow. Honestly, I actually notice quite a bit of difference between A10X/4GB and M1/16GB when I’m batch deleting or labeling stuff on desktop Gmail. Reddit with the annoying infinite scroll? That usually crashes Safari on 2GB after a few “pages”.

Mind, for what it’s worth, my mom just lets her Pro 9.7 auto-update and she doesn’t have any complaints about performance. Of course, when *I* use it because she needs me to do something for her on her iPad, I often get annoyed by its performance. 😑

Caveat there, there’s usually no going back once you upgrade.

At least 15 is still being signed for now.
Yeah, at the beginning I was pretty angry at Apple. For not solving the activation issue which had been running around for months. For not allowing downgrades. For forcing me to update. I’m still angry about the fact that I don’t have iOS 9. But some years after the event, I can now look at the half-full glass and say “at least this version is decent. Is battery life bad? Yes. It is abhorrent - like 5 hours on iPadOS 15-16? - no”. It performs well, so I guess I have to forget that it ever was on iOS 9. Funnily enough, I’ve now used it on iOS 12 for more time than iOS 9. This stance has been even more reassured by comments like yours, which highlight further issues on the current iPadOS versions. Yeah, it’s not perfect. But it is decent.

Yeah, some people just don’t really care or notice. I wonder whether that’s the case for the annoyingly, astronomically high iOS adoption rates. Some people also don’t care about battery life. I’d love not to care, like I said, I was pretty annoyed back when Apple forced my by then only iPad to iOS 12.

ouruniverse06131986

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2021

It just a simple YES OR NO answers. With even a Poll

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It just a simple YES OR NO answers. With even a Poll
Discussion and helpful exchanges are always the point of this forum. I reckon that this discussion was a lot more helpful than me just replying “yes” or “no” with no nuance, but if I had to answer, the answer is no. You’re welcome, by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.