Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noanker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2015
I’ve been an iOS user since purchasing my iPhone 3G in 2008 and an iPad user since the 1st gen iPad. Over the years, I’ve experienced various OS releases, some of which slowed down the devices, but these issues were usually resolved through subsequent updates.

However, iPadOS 18 feels different. Since updating from iPadOS 17.6 to iPadOS 18 yesterday, both my 9th gen iPad and 5th gen iPad Mini have exhibited unusual performance issues that seem more characteristic of a Beta release than a final version.

Siri has become mute, unable to execute the ‘restart this device’ command, and there is constant application lag and malfunctioning widgets. This has been the worst OS launch I can recall. Although I resolved the ‘restart this device’ issue by toggling Voice Control on and off in Settings, Siri remains mute, and the device has been restarted multiple times with no improvement.

As an IT professional, I understand that not all issues can be caught during the Beta period. However, compared to previous OS releases from Apple, this one feels particularly disappointing and unpolished, raising the question of why this OS launch seems to be worse than its predecessors.

Admittedly, many of you may not be experiencing anything at all, and if that's the case, good for you! But the purpose of this post is to gather input from those who ARE experiencing issues post OS upgrade.

I am interested in hearing about other users’ experiences with this release, any issues they’ve encountered, and their solutions. Additionally, I would like to know how your initial experience with iPadOS 18 compares to past releases.

TokyoKiller

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2023
I’ve been an iOS user since purchasing my iPhone 3G in 2008 and an iPad user since the 1st gen iPad. Over the years, I’ve experienced various OS releases, some of which slowed down the devices, but these issues were usually resolved through subsequent updates.

However, iPadOS 18 feels different. Since updating from iPadOS 17.6 to iPadOS 18 yesterday, both my 9th gen iPad and 5th gen iPad Mini have exhibited unusual performance issues that seem more characteristic of a Beta release than a final version.

Siri has become mute, unable to execute the ‘restart this device’ command, and there is constant application lag and malfunctioning widgets. This has been the worst OS launch I can recall. Although I resolved the ‘restart this device’ issue by toggling Voice Control on and off in Settings, Siri remains mute, and the device has been restarted multiple times with no improvement.

As an IT professional, I understand that not all issues can be caught during the Beta period. However, compared to previous OS releases from Apple, this one feels particularly disappointing and unpolished, raising the question of why this OS launch seems to be worse than its predecessors.

Admittedly, many of you may not be experiencing anything at all, and if that's the case, good for you! But the purpose of this post is to gather input from those who ARE experiencing issues post OS upgrade.

I am interested in hearing about other users’ experiences with this release, any issues they’ve encountered, and their solutions. Additionally, I would like to know how your initial experience with iPadOS 18 compares to past releases.

Have you tried doing a “reset all settings” on the iPads? It will toss out the old plist files that were inherited from the previous OS and start fresh which can often help software issues like these.

I’ve had no issues on my M4 iPad Pro.

Reactions: Tagbert and nikon1

noanker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2015
Have you tried doing a “reset all settings” on the iPads? It will toss out the old plist files that were inherited from the previous OS and start fresh which can often help software issues like these.

I’ve had no issues on my M4 iPad Pro.
Thanks.

That is one item I hadn't tried, good point about the plist.

Reactions: TokyoKiller

Gregaus

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
I updated from 17.6 to 18.0 on my 2024 iPad Pro (M4) and boy oh boy is it buggy. I didn’t have the bricking issue thankfully but there are a raft other problems I’m experiencing. Here’s a shortlist;

- Battery won’t charge to 80% (as per my setting) but fluctuates all over the place in the low-mid 70s despite being plugged in
- The UNDO/REDO buttons when taking screenshots are non-existent though they’re there on my iPhone running 18.0
- When taking screenshots, the iPad takes two shots at once, one of which disappears to the side for some reason whilst the other is nowhere to be found
- Sometimes when taking screenshots, the pen menu simply doesn’t display at all
- Safari regularly “locks/freezes” and I have to restart it
- Other apps (including Twitter) also sometimes ‘freeze’ and require a restart
- Occasional noticeable laginess with apps
- When editing THIS post, the browser partially locked up. I could press the edit button but then nothing (my keyboard or screen touches couldn’t do anything) - though the iPad doesn’t lock as I could still move the mouse around

There are more but that’s all I can think of right now (I’ll edit the post as I discover new bugs) but like noanker said, this release feels like a beta and should not have been released in this state, especially given the bricking issue which forced Apple to withdraw it. Fingers crossed a fix comes out soon.

One other thing I found interesting is the noticeably lower Geekbench scores compared to when I got my iPad in May. I ran it twice just to be sure. See results below.

Attachments

• IMG_1733.jpeg
    IMG_1733.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1735.jpeg
    IMG_1735.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I updated from 17.6 to 18.0 on my 2024 iPad Pro (M4) and boy oh boy is it buggy. I didn’t have the bricking issue thankfully but there are a raft other problems I’m experiencing. Here’s a shortlist;

- Battery won’t charge to 80% (as per my setting) but fluctuates all over the place in the low-mid 70s despite being plugged in
- The UNDO/REDO buttons when taking screenshots are non-existent though they’re there on my iPhone running 18.0
- When taking screenshots, the iPad takes two shots at once, one of which disappears to the side for some reason whilst the other is nowhere to be found
- Sometimes when taking screenshots, the pen menu simply doesn’t display at all
- Safari regularly “locks/freezes” and I have to restart it
- Other apps (including Twitter) also sometimes ‘freeze’ and require a restart
- Occasional noticeable laginess with apps
- When editing THIS post, the browser partially locked up. I could press the edit button but then nothing (my keyboard or screen touches couldn’t do anything) - though the iPad doesn’t lock as I could still move the mouse around

There are more but that’s all I can think of right now (I’ll edit the post as I discover new bugs) but like noanker said, this release feels like a beta and should not have been released in this state, especially given the bricking issue which forced Apple to withdraw it. Fingers crossed a fix comes out soon.

One other thing I found interesting is the noticeably lower Geekbench scores compared to when I got my iPad in May. I ran it twice just to be sure. See results below.
I've had the Safari locking, general lagginess where my iPad will freeze for seconds completely unresponsive and then come back to lift and a couple of times my wifi just stopped working until I restarted.

Not ready for prime time yet.

Reactions: Gregaus

ddhawk

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2016
Sechelt, BC, Canada
I've had the Safari locking, general lagginess where my iPad will freeze for seconds completely unresponsive and then come back to lift and a couple of times my wifi just stopped working until I restarted.

Not ready for prime time yet.
Also having Safari locking up consistently on iPadOS 18.1 Beta 4 when using Stage Manager with multiple Safari windows open. Problem sees to resolve when Stage Manager turned off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.